ESXi 6.7U2 - Experieces so far?

Space_Ranger

Semi-regular
I've got a couple of ESXi 6.0 boxes that I have been very hesitant on upgrading to 6.5/6.7. After hearing they droped the vmklinux driver stack, I'm wondering if I should just leave things be, and worry about 6.7+ when we get new Hardware. My Hosts are Dell r720's and they are beginning to show their age.

How has everyone's experience been with ESXi post 6.7U2?

Thanks for your time,

- Space

Don't know but if you "donate" me those old 720s I'll let you know.

They aren't mine to donate.. ;)

I know they aren't "old" old, but they are both at least 5 yrs old now. Got them when they first came out (for the office).

I'm still running 6.0.0 on my box and I don't see a reason to upset the apple cart until there are features that I could benefit from by upgrading. So, I'm subscribed to hear someone in this thread tell me it's awesome :).

We're still on 6.5u2 but have a sandbox on 6.7u2. I can say that the HTML5 VC interface is much better, a lot less dependent on the flash interface for things. Once we have our host upgrades completed in the next month or two I'm hoping to migrate everything over to 6.7u2.

Unfortunately, I haven't experience with anything newer than 6.5.

Well the good news is I just installed from scratch yesterday my old esxi server.

It had just 6.7 no updates on it. Was sitting in the corner collecting dust for a while.

I put 6.7u2 on it fresh and it seems to be a lot more responsive than the 6.7. Mainly on the web gui end.

I'll echo the comments on the Web GUI being more responsive and overall better with 6.7u2. I have it running on older hardware at home and it runs quite well.

My experience so far has been negative. My Connect-X2 cards no longer support Infiniband mode, and I don't have a 10GbE switch to connect them to for EN mode, so I basically lost my high speed network.

The GUI is nice. I'll give it that. Huge step up from 6.0, and almost as nice as the old 5.x thick client.

Become a Patron!
Back