EVGA Frostbite 2 Thermal Grease Review

David_Schroth

Administrator
Staff member
evga_banner.png

Introduction

Thermal grease, thermal interface material (or paste, pads, goop, slime, or stuff) has come a long way over the course of the past couple of decades as components have consumed more power and required better cooling solutions. The intent of the product is to fill in the gap between two imperfect mating surfaces to increase the transfer of heat from the source to the cooler. Of course, this means that the product needs to have a low level of thermal resistance while existing at the perfect viscosity to stay where it is placed and finally, be non-conductive.

EVGA Frostbite 2 Thermal Grease...

Continue reading...

Will be interesting to see how it holds up over time.

David.... Thermal Grizzly... Kryonaut... or GTFO.

I'm curious to test those out as well - Actually did not plan on doing a thermal grease review at this point (before air coolers, etc), but EVGA tossed one in with the power supply so into the mix it went!

I’m still on a years old tube of Arctic Silver

I love seeing these reviews, thanks

I only buy compound when I am doing new builds.... otherwise it sits in my closet for years and dries up / turns into dust.

The only stuff I used that doesn't dry up is this Shin Etsu stuff I get from work. It seems to have unlimited shelf life. But it is as thick as peanut butter. Not sure if it was like that whenever it was new, or 5 years later...

Honestly I think 1-2 degrees is within margin of error of the temp probes. So any of these are probably as good as the other.

I'd like to see a real review of the Thermal Grizzly as well.

First of all, you didn't test peanut butter or mayonaise,
Secondly, Only one paste you need....Noctua NT-H1.
And really....giving some award when you beat some generic crap by 1 degree?
Come on, man.

Come on, man.

Awards are subjective. You can take a look at the data and ignore our opinion :).

In other news, I've ordered three more tubes - Kryonaut, MX-4 and NT-H1 and will give those a spin. If anyone else has their favorite non-conductive paste they'd like to have ordered, post 'em up.

Corsair XTM-50, Cooler Master MakerGell maker, and Thermaltake TG-7

To be fair Conductonaut is not a paste. It is a liquid metal compound. It is the best product, by far to use in cooling. However it takes a slow careful hand to dispense it, and patience to spread it on the gpu and cooling faceplate, because at first it just moves around until it starts to adhere to the surfaces. This is not a beginners compound. Having said all that, it is far superior to any paste. Also if you will be testing this product, you must apply it to the gpu AND cooling faceplate for best effect. God bless.

Hey.....no worries.
Not trying to be harsh, but it's really a small sample size.
Lookie at how many Guru3D does:https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/guru3d_thermal_paste_roundup_2019,12.html
and my NT H1 is pretty middle of the road in that roundup.

I’ve often wondered on these tests, given that the spread of measurements (with some outliers) is usually within a degree or two: what is the margin of error.

Not saying you should do this, just curious: but if you were to install the same heat sink on the same rig in the same manner, and run the same test 10 times - what would that spread be?

Not getting into what way is the “right” way to install compound with this.

we have a lot of different HSF and compound results, but most of them are so close is one really superior to the other, or are the results within the noise band of factors we can’t or didn’t know to xontrol

Hey.....no worries.
Not trying to be harsh, but it's really a small sample size.
Lookie at how many Guru3D does:https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/guru3d_thermal_paste_roundup_2019,12.html
and my NT H1 is pretty middle of the road in that roundup.

That's the strugglebus here - we got the sample item and I compared it with what I had on hand. The Guru3d is a full round up of everything - far more than a quick 1 pager level of effort. I'm ordering a few of these things to do some subsequent follow ups to see if the opinion changes....

Come on, man.

Around here it is good old american cheese.

Become a Patron!
Back