EVGA Is Manually Checking All GeForce RTX 3080 Orders to Counter Bots

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
evga-geforce-rtx-3090-ftw3-1024x576.jpg
Image: EVGA

You’ll have a difficult time scoring a GeForce RTX 3080 from EVGA, but the majority may not be going to scalpers, at least. The support team took to Twitter last night to confirm that all orders will be manually checked and reviewed by hand, which should result in any bulk purchases made by bots being voided.

“We are hand reviewing all EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 orders, any orders that are taken from ‘bots’ will be rejected,” the company tweeted.

Important note: We are hand reviewing all EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 orders, any orders that are taken from "bots" will be rejected.— EVGA (@TEAMEVGA) September 21, 2020

While many customers are still complaining about site issues and begging for the implementation of...

Continue reading...

What I don't get.
You knew this would be a big launch, yet you did nothing to guard against automated buying.
Simple solution seems:
1) One purchase per customer (yeah, I guess you could still beat that some kinda way)
2) One purchase per customer per 30 minutes then.
3) One purchase per credit card.
4) CAPTCHA or something like that to confuse bots.

What I don't get.
You knew this would be a big launch, yet you did nothing to guard against automated buying.
Simple solution seems:
1) One purchase per customer (yeah, I guess you could still beat that some kinda way)
2) One purchase per customer per 30 minutes then.
3) One purchase per credit card.
4) CAPTCHA or something like that to confuse bots.

Because this is something that has never happened before. Nvidia stated they had 10 times more traffic on launch day than ever before. Newegg had more traffic than on Black Friday. Yeah cards always sell out on launch day but nobody could've guessed POS scalpers would be spamming retailers with bots that bought out entire stocks in 15 seconds on top of unprecedented traffic from legitimate customers.

Look I enjoy bashing on Nvidia as much as the next guy but I think we gotta be intellectually honest and cut them some slack on this one. I don't think we can give them flack for failing to predicting something that's never happened before. Not only did Nvidia not see this coming but Newegg, Amazon and Best Buy didn't see it either. That is an awful lot of smart people that run ultra successful, multi billion dollar businesses that didn't see this coming.

I have to disagree.
The guy who sells me dog food uses CAPTCHA.
Secondly, nvidia knew very well there was going to be big pent up demand, since alot of Pascal users held off buying 2080 series cards.....The CEO even mentioned it in his release video.
Lastly, all anyone has to do is look at Nike relreases to see the power of bots.
I have no love for these guys. They released their product with limited etailers and limited product, didn't look around to see what was happening in the etail space and legitimate customers got shafted......now they are trying to weasel out by blaming bots (like they never heard of them)and crazy demand (that they knew about).

I'll be curious if I get one through their step up program. I guess I'll wait and see.

Is this really any different than the 1080 release? or the 2080 release? Sure doesn't seem any different to me, but I'm not out trying to nab one of thes cards either so maybe I'm not seeing everything.

Sure looks like another near-paper launch, where what little inventory there is gets nabbed up by scalpers, with companies trying to spin it as "unprecedented demand!!!!", just like the last few major releases have been.

Become a Patron!
Back