ExFAT Could Be Coming to the Linux Kernel, Courtesy of Microsoft

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
It's probably going to get easier for Linux users to mount flash drives and SD cards formatted in exFAT (Extended File Allocation Table). As part of its ongoing commitment to the open source OS, Microsoft has published the file system's technical specifications to facilitate its addition to the kernel.

Assuming it comes to fruition, the company is hoping that a Linux kernel with exFAT support is accepted into the Open Invention Network's (OIN) Linux definition. OIN membership would effectively minimize patent drama.

exFAT is the Microsoft-developed file system that’s used in Windows and in many types of storage devices like SD Cards and USB flash drives. It’s why hundreds of millions of storage devices that are formatted using exFAT “just work” when you plug them into your laptop, camera, and car.

From my research, Samsung released the Linux driver under GPL in 2013. Samsung paid licensing and then "accidentally" GPLed the linux source code.

Somewhat interesting back reading

The Microsoft release today just looks like a PR stunt, since the code is already out there courtesy of Samsung.

Embrace, extend, extinguish, and all that.

The funny part is, Linux has been my primary OS for years, and I never even noticed it couldn't read exfat disks. I didn't even realize exFat existed. I've always just popped them in and they have worked.

When I format them myself, I usually choose either Fat32 or NTFS though.

Become a Patron!
Back