File Explorer Finally Gets Tabs in Latest Windows 11 Insider Preview

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Microsoft has begun rolling out Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 25136, offering an early glimpse at some of the major changes and features that will be added to the operating system in the new future.

Go to post

I have had tabs in Cinnamon on Linux for years and honestly, I barely ever use them, in part because it prevents drag and drop actions, and in part because, unlike in a web browser it just feels unintuitive.

It would be more useful if you could snap two file explorer tabs side by side in the same window, Norton Commander style

Last edited:
I never really had an issue with it, as you can open as many Explorer windows as you want.

Tabs would make it a bit nicer for screen organization, but hardly essential.

I have had tabs in Cinnamon on Linux for years and honestly, I barely ever use them, in part because it prevents drag and drop actions, and in part because, unlike in a web browser it just feels unintuitive.
Same really. The usecase is odd; especially with how little routine file management is really necessary from a userspace perspective on any modern graphical operating system.

I got tabs on the file explorer Dolphin in Manjaro Linux. I've used them occasionally, but not a whole bunch. What I make more use of is the split view.
I never really had an issue with it, as you can open as many Explorer windows as you want.

Tabs would make it a bit nicer for screen organization, but hardly essential.
This, basically.

Become a Patron!
Back