First Mainstream 8K Rip with 22.2 Surround Sound Hits Pirate Sites

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
tokyo-2020-olympics-logo-tokyo-skyline-1024x579.jpg
Image: IOC

In what’s being described as a milestone by members of the torrenting community, pirate sites have begun sharing the first mainstream rip to offer an incredible 4,320 lines of resolution: the opening ceremony of the Tokyo 2020 Olympics. Broadcast to a lucky few in Japan in 8K Ultra HD by the country’s public broadcaster, NHK, the Tokyo Olympics’ incredibly detailed opening ceremony was quickly picked up by release groups and downloaded by users who were curious about what a native 8K broadcast might look like. Weighing in at a beefy 135 GB, the 8K rip also features a 22.2 surround sound track that bolsters the traditional front, center, side, and LFE channels with various back, top, and bottom sound channels. The amount of people with the proper A/V equipment to take advantage of everything that this 8K rip has to offer is presumably slim, however...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
22.2 surround sound, what the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

135GB, and I thought 4K BD rips were huge.

Clearly this was for rebroadcast in theaters where they have the av footprint to support that many channels.

Considering that we have games now at 200GB+, 135GB 8K file, bring it!

I admit I have every intention of skipping 8K. I'm far more interested in higher quality 4K authoring from the studios than another pixel jump and I just can't wrap my head around 22.2 even being worthwhile. Pretty happy with 7.2/Atmos/DTSX as is. I think 9.2 or 11.2 seems reasonable but after that, I'm having some doubts about the effectiveness of having much more.

And here I am perfectly happy with 2.0 or maybe 2.1 The center speaker is totally worthless it's just to obscure the low dynamic range of cheap home theater systems, and the rear speakers are only noticable in maybe 3 scenes in each movie, totally worthless as an investment. And don't get me started on 7.1, I don't even know wtf 7.2 is?! Two subwoofers?

And here I am perfectly happy with 2.0 or maybe 2.1 The center speaker is totally worthless it's just to obscure the low dynamic range of cheap home theater systems, and the rear speakers are only noticable in maybe 3 scenes in each movie, totally worthless as an investment. And don't get me started on 7.1, I don't even know wtf 7.2 is?! Two subwoofers?

Yes, the x.2 means 2 subs. It really depends on your gear setup and speakers, and room layout is important too. For the longest time I was like you, bunch of random speakers mainly just used 2.0 in phantom center mode. But I eventually went to an all matching system (important for tone and freq matching) and it is much better.

I do find I spend the majority of my TV and gameplay time listening in multi-channel stereo mode, which is kind of cheating. Simulates a stereo signal across all the speakers. It really livens things up, but it's not surround per se. I switch back to normal DTS/AC3 for movies.

Yes, the x.2 means 2 subs. It really depends on your gear setup and speakers, and room layout is important too. For the longest time I was like you, bunch of random speakers mainly just used 2.0 in phantom center mode. But I eventually went to an all matching system (important for tone and freq matching) and it is much better.

I do find I spend the majority of my TV and gameplay time listening in multi-channel stereo mode, which is kind of cheating. Simulates a stereo signal across all the speakers. It really livens things up, but it's not surround per se. I switch back to normal DTS/AC3 for movies.
Sometimes I turn my head with my 2.0 system thinking how TF did sound appear to be coming from behind.
I've started out with 2.0 speakers went to 2.1 then 4.1, then 5.1, then back to 2.0. The benefit of a surround system is so negligible that I never looked back.

I still have an 5.1 system in another room but only because I've had my old 5.1 system laying around so I might as well use it.

Same here. I don't always notice surround channels in most movies/shows - but when it does show up, it is impactful. And listening to music in multi-channel mode does open it up a good deal for casual listening.

I've got 5.1.2 running right now (Standard L/C/R + one set of rear channels, 1 sub, 2 height/Atmos speakers). I don't notice the Atmos so much - on rare occasion, moreso than just noticing the rear channels. Having a ~good~ center channel and subwoofer I've found are the keys to making it all work well.

I did catch Atmos on Tomorrow War, which I watched last night. Having some of the explosions/fights get thrown over your head and behind was... unexpected and amazing to listen to. So far it's been the best showcase for Atmos I've watched.

I have a nice set of Atlantic Technology speakers I got some 20 years ago now and they still rock the house for 5.1 with a good amp.

For me I like the immersion of a good surround setup. I'll admit to not truly noticing it except for specific circumstances in movies. (the scene in fight club here he shoots himself and has his ears ringing... My friends and I were not sure if it was OUR ears ringing or coming from the speakers back then.)

But give me a game like rock band... Go play it on 5.1 or any surround really, then go back and play it with the surrounds turned off. It's a massive difference.

Become a Patron!
Back