FIX PARTITION

Stoly

FPS Regular
I had a HDD fail, fortunately I was able to recover everything. Thing is the HDD I recovered into also failed, the partition appears as raw, but every now and then it just works.

Is there any way to fix the partition? CHKDSK doesn't work as it says the partition is RAW.

I already have a working backup, but this is a good opportunity to try to fix it in case it happens in the future.

Sorry, bad autocorrect there - idk what "frisk" is on linux (although I'm certain ~something~ exists), but I meant to type fdisk.

"frisk" is what you do when you want to perform a racially motivated localized security check.

:unsure:

although I'm certain ~something~ exists
Apparently...
Frisk is the name of a person/company that creates a Linux anti-virus program.
Also a cloud based virtualized development/testbed/protoyping environment.

The more you know 🌟✨✨✨

You can use a program such as gdisk (GPT fdisk) from either Linux or Windows to manipulate your partition table (gdisk can also back up and restore the partition structure from file), but if the disk is intermittently appearing as RAW, it sounds like a hardware problem.* A partitioning tool also won't help in the case of filesystem corruption.

I don't know whether this is an external HDD or what, but I'd run a diagnostic utility to inspect its SMART attributes if you're able to. If the disk has reallocated sectors, for example, it's usually a bad sign.

Addendum: after rereading the original post, I don't think I understand question at all. If you just want to understand partition table formats for potential future troubleshooting scenarios, the above link to gdisk is a decent starting point, and it provides numerous links to external resources. As an example, here's Microsoft's Windows and GPT FAQ (chosen because you're using Windows). The GPT format is formally defined in the UEFI specification, but unless you're suffering from a terrible bout of insomnia, it's likely you'll find other resources more useful.

* If the disk has multiple partitions and only one of them is behaving erratically, it may be worth considering other sources of corruption, especially if there isn't any evidence of hardware failure. But after rereading the post, it sounds as though you already know the HDD is bad? And if that's the case, the partition table isn't the problem. Chkdsk won't operate on a partition marked as RAW, as you're already aware. You can try to reformat it.

If the drive is indeed failing, the more you try the less chance you have of a recovery if you don't know what you are doing. So unless you are comfortable loosing the data, it's better to send the drive to a data recovery professional, who has the proper hardware and software to recover from failing drives.

If the drive is indeed failing, the more you try the less chance you have of a recovery if you don't know what you are doing. So unless you are comfortable loosing the data, it's better to send the drive to a data recovery professional, who has the proper hardware and software to recover from failing drives.
I can spare the info, I already have everything I need. The purpose is to try to recover the partition in case it ever happens to me again in the future with some other drive. If it was something like using FIXMBR like back in the day. I would be much faster in the recovery process.

Forgot to add. I already tested the drive and it appears to be perfectly fine with no damaged sectors and the SMART readings are good.

BTW used EASYUS partition master which has a repair option but didn't even manage to find the 2TBparititon just a 290GB one and the rest as free space (the disk was almost full originally).

I think I'm done now.

I already formatted the disk and put some files on it. Lets see how it does.

Last edited:
I had used a utility called Hetman Partition Recovery(Windows) to recover data from a VMFS data store. IDK if this would work in your case but could be worth trying.

Become a Patron!
Back