Ford Adjusts F-150 Lightning Prices by Up to $9,979 for Customers

I feel that. But I still personally love the feeling and feedback that opening a throttle body via a throttle cable gives me. Not to mention much finer modulation and control of the throttle pedal. I find that with throttle-by-wire, using the throttle pedal is weird, and depending on how it was programmed, there can be dead zones, or non-linear changes in throttle response. Like with my mom's 2002 Tbird. You press the throttle pedal a little bit, it does nothing. Press it a little more, it does nothing. Press it a little more, does nothing. Press it a little more, it does too much. But Ford throttle-by-wire is especially bad. I've driven several drive-by-wire Ford vehicles that all have their own weird issues with the throttle-by-wire setup. In a C5 Corvette, there is a throttle delay. Throttle-by-wire stuff is offputting when not done well.
I don't have that issue with the throttle in my 2019 Mustang. There is no dead zone, and the first little bit of throttle opens it up nice and progressively so it's easy to back into my garage and such. The response to initial pressure is a bit too sensitive, though, as it is sometimes difficult to get away smoothly from a stoplight if I don't "use my big toe." That may have more to do with my aftermarket tuning, though, and I honestly can't recall if I had this issue on the stock tune anymore. It's not like manufacturers didn't sometimes pull shenanigans with a throttle cable, either. Not all of them were nice and linear.

I don't have that issue with the throttle in my 2019 Mustang. There is no dead zone, and the first little bit of throttle opens it up nice and progressively so it's easy to back into my garage and such. The response to initial pressure is a bit too sensitive, though, as it is sometimes difficult to get away smoothly from a stoplight if I don't "use my big toe." That may have more to do with my aftermarket tuning, though, and I honestly can't recall if I had this issue on the stock tune anymore. It's not like manufacturers didn't sometimes pull shenanigans with a throttle cable, either. Not all of them were nice and linear.
I think the bigger issue with 5th-gen and 6th-gen Mustangs is the electric steering rack. Steer-by-wire in modern Mustangs hasn't been too great. But you would know better than I what the real deal with that is, since you actually own one, and the last time I drove one was years ago. Glad to hear that at least the electric throttle isn't terrible like in most vehicles. But yeah you are of course right about throttle cables, those setups weren't great on a lot of vehicles as well. I do in fact know of some vehicles where throttle-by-wire does actually feel better than throttle-by-cable (which is sad for the latter vehicles).

Maaaan, you have a Mustang in Kona Blue. That is exactly the color I wanted for the GT350 I couldn't afford. Didn't stop me from configuring one on their website though.

I have already seen waaaay too many controls for normal sh1t being thrown into touchscreen menus.
I had Lariat F150 that I traded for a Ranger XLT Tremor a little bit ago. I enjoyed the large 12" screen and some of the things that went along with it, but now I'm back down to a "normal" 8 inch touch screen. I'd thought I'd miss the large screen, but I honestly don't.

Steering by wire???

View attachment 2595

I'm sorry, I don't care how well they validated it, I want absolutely nothing to do with that.

Soooo many cars use it now, and it's f*cking terrible. On top of the safety issues, there is a real loss of feedback when the steering wheel is not physically connected to the front wheels. You can't feel the road surface or what the tires are doing on that surface, making it harder to ascertain available traction and surface conditions at any given moment. You can't feel the load on the steering when cornering as well, or heck just when turning the wheels. When you've been driving with physical steering for decades, it feels like losing one of your senses. The same goes for brake-by-wire, when you can no longer feel what the front brakes are doing through the brake pedal. But you can do some interesting sh1t with steer-by-wire. For example, people have gotten a drive-by-wire car's controls mapped to a PC to play racing games, using the actual steering wheel and pedals in the car. Some car models also allow you to adjust the steering "feel", so you can make the feel of turning the wheel lighter or heavier. On the other hand, I believe I saw one or two demonstrations of being able to remotely commandeer drive-by-wire vehicles.

But you can do some interesting sh1t with steer-by-wire. For example, people have gotten a drive-by-wire car's controls mapped to a PC to play racing games, using the actual steering wheel and pedals in the car. Some car models also allow you to adjust the steering "feel", so you can make the feel of turning the wheel lighter or heavier. On the other hand, I believe I saw one or two demonstrations of being able to remotely commandeer drive-by-wire vehicles.

My Volvo S90 has traditional rack and pinion steering, but it still has configurable steering weight. I presume they accomplish this with an electronic power steering module where you just adjust how much boost the electric assist servo gives you.

Eliminating the mechanical link seems like asking for trouble. Imagine going through a bad puddle resulting in some sort of short or ground fault on the highway and suddenly losing steering...

My Volvo S90 has traditional rack and pinion steering, but it still has configurable steering weight. I presume they accomplish this with an electronic power steering module where you just adjust how much boost the electric assist servo gives you.

Eliminating the mechanical link seems like asking for trouble. Imagine going through a bad puddle resulting in some sort of short or ground fault on the highway and suddenly losing steering...
Its not really trouble. The change was weird back then, but now, meh, works well enough. If you buy new, i don't think there is any choice, i think everyone is drive by wire.

I think the bigger issue with 5th-gen and 6th-gen Mustangs is the electric steering rack. Steer-by-wire in modern Mustangs hasn't been too great. But you would know better than I what the real deal with that is, since you actually own one, and the last time I drove one was years ago. Glad to hear that at least the electric throttle isn't terrible like in most vehicles. But yeah you are of course right about throttle cables, those setups weren't great on a lot of vehicles as well. I do in fact know of some vehicles where throttle-by-wire does actually feel better than throttle-by-cable (which is sad for the latter vehicles).

Maaaan, you have a Mustang in Kona Blue. That is exactly the color I wanted for the GT350 I couldn't afford. Didn't stop me from configuring one on their website though.
Electric power assisted steering is not steer-by-wire. The only difference is an electric motor provide the power steering instead of a hydraulic system. You still feel all the bumps in the road and whatnot because the steering rack is still directly connected to the wheels. The Infiniti system is steer-by-wire because the steering rack is not mechanically connected to the wheels unless the system fails.

That's how my Bronco is too - can feel it with physical feedback, but electric motor can be tuned for the amount of assistance it gives (part of the GOAT thing is how much boost the electric gives it for various modes).

Electric power assisted steering is not steer-by-wire. The only difference is an electric motor provide the power steering instead of a hydraulic system. You still feel all the bumps in the road and whatnot because the steering rack is still directly connected to the wheels. The Infiniti system is steer-by-wire because the steering rack is not mechanically connected to the wheels unless the system fails.
My bad, when I used the phrase "electric steering" I was referring to full-blown steer-by-wire, not electrically-assisted hydraulic steering. I admit my choice of words could have been better.

My bad, when I used the phrase "electric steering" I was referring to full-blown steer-by-wire, not electrically-assisted hydraulic steering. I admit my choice of words could have been better.
Well the EPAS system in the Mustang has no hydraulics. This is all there is to it aside from the wiring harness:

1689950191897.png

No other hoses or tanks are connected to it.

That looks more direct drive than hydraulic. I had a 2006 cobalt SS/SC back in the day and it had a electronic 'drive by wire' that died... thankfully when it started to die I took it in and it was covered under a recall. But still...

That little car had a motor replaced in the first 10k miles and then the drive by wire system replaced. Was a fun car to drive though.

And looking at the new mustang ecoboost motors... I'm surprised the 4 cylinder is putting out so much HP and torque.

That looks more direct drive than hydraulic. I had a 2006 cobalt SS/SC back in the day and it had a electronic 'drive by wire' that died... thankfully when it started to die I took it in and it was covered under a recall. But still...

That little car had a motor replaced in the first 10k miles and then the drive by wire system replaced. Was a fun car to drive though.

And looking at the new mustang ecoboost motors... I'm surprised the 4 cylinder is putting out so much HP and torque.
I won't have an EcoBoost Mustang. I mean, there is part of me that wants to put better turbos on one and crank up the boost but one of the big reasons I gravitate towards muscle cars is due to the V8 sound and the way those cars feel.

I won't have an EcoBoost Mustang. I mean, there is part of me that wants to put better turbos on one and crank up the boost but one of the big reasons I gravitate towards muscle cars is due to the V8 sound and the way those cars feel.

I'm not going to say that you're wrong on the sound. But feel wise... Remember the Mustang Cobra around year 2000? An iconic OVER built motor to be sure. A real Modders dream too a few bolt on parts and you were pretty well over 500hp and great performance.

The new ecoboost 4 produces 310 HP and 350ftlbs of torque on like 2.5 liters I believe. That overbuild v8 was pushing 385hp and ft lbs of torque.

It's amazing what the 4 cylinder can do today.

Plus with gas being what it is...

Who am I kidding I'll probably end up with a subaru WRX for my next ride and save some bones to get a HD Tri Glide... used. Or a converted Valkyrie.

Remember the Mustang Cobra around year 2000?
Might you be referring to the 2003-2004 SVT "Terminator" Cobra with the iron block that was hella overbuilt from the factory and could hit around 1,000 HP before needing serious mods (which is why it was called the American 2JZ)? If I'm not mistaken, there was no Cobra for 2000 cuz the 1999 Cobra made less power than advertised and Ford wanted to address the issue. I think it came back in 2001 or 2002. Those were the ones with orange turn signals in the back. The Terminator Cobra didn't have orange turn signals for the rear lights (which made me kinda sad). Also the Terminator Cobra was the first Mustang with an independent rear suspension (which wouldn't be standard until the 6th-gen Mustangs).

The new ecoboost 4 produces 310 HP and 350ftlbs of torque on like 2.5 liters I believe.
Which if I am not mistaken is slightly more power than the V6 Mustang and V6 Camaro made. Still, I wasn't happy when they ditched the V6 Mustang and left just the EcoBoost model.

Yeah but the EcoBoost is turbocharged, it doesn't make the power on its own. Also the EcoBoost line is some trash in terms of reliability/durability. You'll be lucky if they make it to 100,000 miles, and if they do, they won't make it much farther than that.

Coyote V8 doesn't need premium gas, but the EcoBoost does.

Who am I kidding I'll probably end up with a subaru WRX for my next ride...
I'm scared cuz I keep hearing the next STI might be fully-electric, or a hybrid. No thank you.

I'm not going to say that you're wrong on the sound. But feel wise... Remember the Mustang Cobra around year 2000? An iconic OVER built motor to be sure. A real Modders dream too a few bolt on parts and you were pretty well over 500hp and great performance.

The new ecoboost 4 produces 310 HP and 350ftlbs of torque on like 2.5 liters I believe. That overbuild v8 was pushing 385hp and ft lbs of torque.

Who am I kidding I'll probably end up with a subaru WRX for my next ride and save some bones to get a HD Tri Glide... used. Or a converted Valkyrie.
2.3L. My Ecoboost is putting down 350 to the wheels. I could push it to 400 on an E30 tune, but I'm not doing that considering the limited availability of E85 around me. The only issue is the turbo lag is real. With my wastegate actuator it doesn't hit until 2500 RPM, but when it does it's a kick in the pants.
Which if I am not mistaken is slightly more power than the V6 Mustang and V6 Camaro made. Still, I wasn't happy when they ditched the V6 Mustang and left just the EcoBoost model.

Yeah but the EcoBoost is turbocharged, it doesn't make the power on its own. Also the EcoBoost line is some trash in terms of reliability/durability. You'll be lucky if they make it to 100,000 miles, and if they do, they won't make it much farther than that.

I liked the sound of my 3.7L V6 more than the Ecoboost, for sure, but from my own experience the Ecoboost is just a better platform to start with.

You're right about the durability. Nothing about the engine is over-engineered. The cylinder walls are thin and the semi-open deck limits how much boost you can push through it. The safe limit on the stock block is 26-27 PSI and around 450 wheel HP. It was developed as an economy engine, first and foremost. Even the 3.7L V6 will hit a wall if you try to push it past 550 wheel HP. If you want an over-engineered engine with a small number of cylinders, check out the 3-cylinder in the GR Corolla.

The Ecoboost doesn't need premium to run, but it does need premium to get the most HP. You lose 30 HP on 87 compared to 93. The High Performance Pack Ecoboost requires 91.

The Terminator Cobras used a V8 and then added a supercharger on top of that to produce an underrated amount of HP and with minimal effort, those things were absolute monsters. That's what was appealing about them as the 4.6L modular engines were difficult to improve naturally aspirated. Furthermore, being able to crank up the boost and add fuel to get more power is precisely what's appealing about the Buick Grand National, the 20th Anniversary Turbo Trans Am, diesel trucks and EcoBoost engines like the one in the Mustang.

Don't kid yourself though. The EcoBoost cars are NOT fuel efficient if you are doing anything but cruising at 50-60MPH. If you start modding them, that only gets worse.
Might you be referring to the 2003-2004 SVT "Terminator" Cobra with the iron block that was hella overbuilt from the factory and could hit around 1,000 HP before needing serious mods (which is why it was called the American 2JZ)? If I'm not mistaken, there was no Cobra for 2000 cuz the 1999 Cobra made less power than advertised and Ford wanted to address the issue. I think it came back in 2001 or 2002. Those were the ones with orange turn signals in the back. The Terminator Cobra didn't have orange turn signals for the rear lights (which made me kinda sad). Also the Terminator Cobra was the first Mustang with an independent rear suspension (which wouldn't be standard until the 6th-gen Mustangs).
Yes those.
It never made sense to me for Ford to offer both the V6 and the EcoBoost engines simultaneously. The things people generally liked about the V6 were done better by the EcoBoost and the latter engine can achieve far more performance with tuning than the former and do so for less money.

I really can't see why anyone would want the V6 over the EcoBoost. Perhaps reliability, but I'm not sure how much of a difference that really makes here.
There are EcoBoost engines out there now with a crap ton of miles on them. I don't believe any rhetoric saying that they can't make it to 100,000 miles. However, I've heard of enthusiasts blowing up their EcoBoosts with too much boost. As for the 100,000 mile thing, plenty of vehicles have gone over that but that's usually about the time these cars go to their second owners anyway.

Are these engines more problematic than the V6 was? Probably but that could be said about any naturally aspirated engine compared to anything turbocharged or supercharged. Is the failure rate egregious or unacceptable overall? I've seen no data that leads me to make that conclusion.
No, the Coyote equipped cars do not necessarily need premium fuel although the manual recommends that you use premium or higher octane fuel in them. While I wouldn't consider anecdotes as hard evidence, for whatever its worth I can tell the difference between the two in my car.
I'm scared cuz I keep hearing the next STI might be fully-electric, or a hybrid. No thank you.
Unfortunately, a lot of vehicles are headed that way.
2.3L. My Ecoboost is putting down 350 to the wheels. I could push it to 400 on an E30 tune, but I'm not doing that considering the limited availability of E85 around me. The only issue is the turbo lag is real. With my wastegate actuator it doesn't hit until 2500 RPM, but when it does it's a kick in the pants.

I liked the sound of my 3.7L V6 more than the Ecoboost, for sure, but from my own experience the Ecoboost is just a better platform to start with.
For me, the V8 was a must but if I had to choose between the V6 and the EcoBoost it would have been the latter hands down. I'd agree with you about the sound but the sound is a large part of why I always opt for a V8 when its available.
You're right about the durability. Nothing about the engine is over-engineered. The cylinder walls are thin and the semi-open deck limits how much boost you can push through it. The safe limit on the stock block is 26-27 PSI and around 450 wheel HP. It was developed as an economy engine, first and foremost. Even the 3.7L V6 will hit a wall if you try to push it past 550 wheel HP. If you want an over-engineered engine with a small number of cylinders, check out the 3-cylinder in the GR Corolla.
I've definitely heard of people destroying their engines with too much boost. Unfortunately, these are a far cry from the engines that went into the Buick Grand National or the Turbo Trans Am.
The Ecoboost doesn't need premium to run, but it does need premium to get the most HP. You lose 30 HP on 87 compared to 93. The High Performance Pack Ecoboost requires 91.
The manual for the V8 car says pretty much the same thing.

My Volvo S90 T6 is twincharged (supercharger at low rpm's, switches to turbocharger at high rpm's)

It's kind of the best world of the twocompression systems. Benefits from the superchargers off the line performance with no lag, and then decouples and relies on the turbo at higher rpm's to avoid the mechanical losses superchargers have at high RPM's.

Stock it puts out about 320hp, but I added Volvo's "polestar" software upgrade, so I don't know what the max output is now.

Modern cars are weird, man. They break all the old rules of thumb. The S90 is by far heaviest vehicle I've ever owned at 4,225 lb, and at 2.0L the little 4-banger is the smallest engine I've ever owned. It's also AWD, so it should have greater drive train losses, yet it also the fastest car I've owned, doing 0-60 in the mid 5's (when I was a kid and had a supercar calendar on the wall, this was Lamborghini territory)

The twin charging system is part of it, but so is the fact that it has a quick shifting 8speed automatic.

It's kind of nuts. Everything I thought I used to know about cars just doesn't apply anymore.

Old Volvo's are tanks that will run forever as long as you don't neglect them. I don't trust these new ones though. With the amount of output they are taking out of that little engine, I fully expect it to tap out way sooner than older models. I got the factory extended warranty until 100k miles. After that I'll probably get rid of it. It's not worth the risk.

My Volvo S90 T6 is twincharged (supercharger at low rpm's, switches to turbocharger at high rpm's)
Oh shiiiiiiiat, I haven't seen something use both a turbocharger and a supercharger since the Lancia Delta S4 in WRC Group B!!!

Become a Patron!
Back