FSP SFX PRO 450W Power Supply Review

Paul_Johnson

Administrator
Staff member
FSP SFX PRO 450W

FSP Group is one of the few actual power supply manufacturers and can be found providing OEM services for a number of other brands at various times including OCZ, Zalman, AOpen, Antec, SilverStone, Super Talent, Sigma, and many more. This wide distribution of power supplies by FSP is not surprising given that it has been in business since 1993 and is one of the top 10 producers of power supplies in the world. For this review, we are looking at one of FSP’s SFX power supplies in the guise of the SFX PRO 450W.

SFX-PRO-450W-1024x591.png

Has SFX Gone PRO?

The SFX PRO 450W is not the first...
Continue reading...

I guess gone are the days of buying a sub-50$ PSU for an office machine build. Thanks for the review Paul! Sad that $75 can't even get you something good these days.

You guys are talking apples and oranges here. The power supply reviewed is a SFX (small!) form factor supply, the EVGA supply linked is a standard ATX sized supply. See pictures on page 3 with a measuring tape.

I guess gone are the days of buying a sub-50$ PSU for an office machine build.
I'd say that those days should never have existed, given that quality has tended to drop off a cliff at the sub-$50 pricepoint for at least a few decades.

That, and realistically you've never needed anywhere near 450W for an 'office machine build'. I get where you're going with that though, as 450W has really been the PSU 'floor' for some time, so to speak.

And most recently, 'office machine' is very quickly becoming 'laptop', not because that hasn't been the trend for some time (it has), but because people are finally starting to realize that there's literally no performance difference for 'office' work anymore!

As you stated Paul, this is more of an entry level unit. However, FSP has decided to put the "Pro" in the name of the unit, which I hardly find it being a "Pro" series power supply.
Regardless of it being a pretty small SFX unit, I agree with you on the downgrade of the capacitors.

Also, as you pointed out, for a little bit more an end user can get a much better unit than this.

I personally have a Corsair SFX 450 and it has been a rock solid power supply. I think I originally paid $90 or so for the unit 3 or 4 years ago. I'd be very hesitant on purchasing this specific unit.

Great review man. Gives a lot of insight!!!!!

Become a Patron!
Back