FTP and Google Chrome No More Best Buds?

IceDigger

Quasi-regular
If you are one of those who use the fantastic FTP support within Google Chrome then its time to shed some tears. Says the tiniest violin ever.

Apparently for a while now Google has been secretly getting rid of its FTP support and finally it is now made public about this.

“Remaining capabilities of Google Chrome’s FTP implementation are restricted to either displaying a directory listing or downloading a resource over unencrypted connections. We would like to deprecate and remove this remaining functionality rather than maintain an insecure FTP implementation.” Google Folk

So I suggest you use another program to suite your FTP needs…

It's now just as robust as Iexplore's FTP soultion. Hell new kids coming into to the world of IT don't even really know what FTP is these days. 'I don't understand what's an ftp site?'

So I guess that means no ftps support? Cool stuff one day they'll just stop rendering http pages

So I guess that means no ftps support? Cool stuff one day they'll just stop rendering http pages

Don't laugh too hard. I have some appliances that do lazy crap with their web interfaces that Chrome refuses to render them. I have to revert back to IE just to be able to get to them.

Don't laugh too hard. I have some appliances that do lazy crap with their web interfaces that Chrome refuses to render them. I have to revert back to IE just to be able to get to them.

That's pretty common with stuff from the mid-00's. I think I have an older DVR and something or another else that do the same.

And to be fair, it's not exactly Chrome's fault that IE decided to push non-standard APIs and developers decided to implement them... because "everyone" at the time ran IE, and a lot of businesses could not imagine a time when the Microsoft juggernaut would fail to be leading the way.

AFAIK at least Chrome is more or less standards compliant and isn't pushing proprietary code. Any time they want something, they drag the Standards along with them, so at least FF and the rest of the gang have a fighting chance at keeping up.

Become a Patron!
Back