Gabe Newell: Xbox Series X Is Better Than PlayStation 5

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
xbox-series-x-top-1024x576.jpg
Image: Microsoft

As the co-founder of Valve and chief architect behind Steam, one of the world’s most popular and successful digital distribution platforms, Gabe Newell is all about the PC side of gaming and technology, but evidently, he’s had a few thoughts about the upcoming peasant war between Sony and Microsoft as well. The billionaire developer was recently asked whether he preferred the Xbox Series X or PlayStation 5 on The Project, a New Zealand current affairs show, and his answer was brief and definitive: Xbox!

“This Christmas, PlayStation, Xbox, are both coming out with new consoles,” show host Jesse Mulligan began. “Which is better?”

“The Xbox,” Newell confidently responded.

“Why?” asked presenter Kanoa Lloyd.

“Uh…because it is?” Newell answered, to audience laughter.

“I don’t have a stake, you know, in...

Continue reading...

Whatever. Steam makes like 1 game per decade. They are primarily a digital storefront and have been for 15-20 years.

And it doesn't matter if the XboxXYZ will have better specs, it's not a general purpose computer.... it's about the games people.

I honestly don't care. I appreciate that Gabe Newell is existentially connected to Xbox. But come on... he likes Xbox because there is a business deal for him and more titles are coming to PC because of Xbox and more titles on PC is more developers targeting PC and that means more money for Steam/Gabe.

I don't understand... I read xbox this and that and pc games this and that... So what? Xbox going to be a cheap gaming pc? Is it going to that open? Will it support keyboard and mouse like a pc then?
Im all in for that... Otherwise what is really the difference, cause i can't still understand it from what i read.

Whatever. Steam makes like 1 game per decade. They are primarily a digital storefront and have been for 15-20 years.

And it doesn't matter if the XboxXYZ will have better specs, it's not a general purpose computer.... it's about the games people.
Valve has put out a game they developed just about every 2 years since Half-Life 2. This doesn't include games made by other teams and published by Valve.

1998 - Half-Life
2004 - Half-Life 2
2006 - Half-Life 2: Episode One
2007 - Half-Life 2: Episode Two
2007 - Portal
2007 - Team Fortress 2
2011 - Portal 2
2013 - Dota 2
2016 - The Lab
2018 - Artifact
2020 - Half-Life: Alyx

Valve has put out a game they developed just about every 2 years since Half-Life 2. This doesn't include games made by other teams and published by Valve.

1998 - Half-Life
2004 - Half-Life 2
2006 - Half-Life 2: Episode One
2007 - Half-Life 2: Episode Two
2007 - Portal
2007 - Team Fortress 2
2011 - Portal 2
2013 - Dota 2
2016 - The Lab
2018 - Artifact
2020 - Half-Life: Alyx

OK but none of those are power hungry games. And hey you forgot CS:GO :) Half-Life: Alyx is the only demanding title they have released in a long time. All the other ones are source/HL2 engines I think. Gabe is just talking out of his buttocks because he likes MS more than Sony

OK but none of those are power hungry games. And hey you forgot CS:GO :) Half-Life: Alyx is the only demanding title they have released in a long time. All the other ones are source/HL2 engines I think. Gabe is just talking out of his buttocks because he likes MS more than Sony
Valve may be resting on their laurels, but they certainly have not been sitting idle as your original post implied. And CS:GO was developed by Hidden Path Entertainment prior to Valve completely taking it over post-release ;).

For years I used to joke that I'd love to see Celebrity DM make a comeback. In particular I wanted to see Jensen vs Job's, you know, jacket vs sweater. Now after watching people takes side with the next consoles I'm inclined to add Sweeney vs Newell. Since AMD has done such a great job of being in the middle so many things, and competing on so many fronts, Lisa could be the ref. For the record, never want for anyone to actually be hurt.

Become a Patron!
Back