Gainward Delays GeForce RTX 4090 Shipments, 12VHPWR Adapter Cables Must Be Replaced: “Affects Every Card in the Market”

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Gainward has been forced to delay shipments of its custom GeForce RTX 4090 graphics cards because their included 12VHPWR adapter cables, which apparently have problems, need to be replaced, according to a letter from a support agent with Australian retailer TechFast, who had some disappointing news to give to purchasers this week.

See full article...

Good someone needs to step up and fix this crap.

Good someone needs to step up and fix this crap.
Fix what exactly? There is no engineering or technical reason as to why the melting is occurring. Trying to cause melting has been unsuccessful within spec (600w) even by breaking/damaging the connector/adapter

Hopefully Gamer's Nexus can find out what's causing it with them gathering as many cables as they can

Finding an issue from what was likely the first few batches of cables when the overall failure rate appears to be less than 0.001% is just likely going to not happen

I'm all for making sure stuff doesn't catch on fire but there has to be a reason for replacement/recall not just unproven speculation

------

This statement from Gainward has been retracted as no issues have been found - https://www.facebook.com/Gainward/p...nba3TeDXMBJFAkjAtGMVE5FK9uwUJUi849pLXaeKW4Krl

Finding an issue from what was likely the first few batches of cables when the overall failure rate appears to be less than 0.001% is just likely going to not happen
I've been saying this all along. I do believe there are either a few bad cables that made it through that shouldn't have to the end consumer as Igor's lab and Gamers Nexus found. Still on the fence with the human error aspect as well. Granted the cable/ connector shouldn't be as "flimsy" as it is, but that's just a bad design all around.

Since the power delivery and control on these cards is logic controlled, maybe it's a software issue. Maybe the card is inadvertently trying to pull too much power through a single wire, and the cable/plug has nothing to do with it.

I'm no hardware engineer, but just something I've been thinking about.

I'm all for making sure stuff doesn't catch on fire but there has to be a reason for replacement/recall not just unproven speculation
If they are doing a recall presumably they are changing something. And not just redistributing the same cables for fun :LOL:

Become a Patron!
Back