GameStop Entering PC Hardware Business?

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
gamestop-logo.jpg

GameStop has been in a lot of serious financial trouble lately, so it’s been exploring different avenues in a last-ditch attempt to save itself. One of those roads could involve DIY hardware enthusiasts such as ourselves.

r/PCGaming has discovered a new section on GameStop’s store that’s dedicated to PC components. While the listings are sparse, they comprise items that the video games retailer hasn’t dabbled with before, such as routers, liquid cooling systems, thermal paste, and computer cases.

We’re not convinced that GameStop can compete with the likes of Micro Center, Newegg, and other thoroughly established retail behemoths (e.g., Amazon, Best Buy), but the direction makes plenty of sense. With the PC gaming and...

Continue reading...

Time to piss test the Gamestop executives.
This does seem a bit out of their scope, but to be fair, what else are they going to do?

Further and probably more importantly, how do you make a business case for GameStop to even exist today?

As for the implication of executives using creativity-assisting substances... should we deride them for the approach, or applaud them for trying something to stay relevant in the first place?

This does seem a bit out of their scope, but to be fair, what else are they going to do?

Further and probably more importantly, how do you make a business case for GameStop to even exist today?

As for the implication of executives using creativity-assisting substances... should we deride them for the approach, or applaud them for trying something to stay relevant in the first place?

https://forums.thefpsreview.com/threads/gamestop-thinks-it-can-challenge-amazon.3476/

Drugs, lots of drugs must be involved.

Why would they do this? For a while they had PC hardware... you could get some video cards and such there. Then again for a while they also had pen and paper RPG books in rare supply. So who the eff knows.

Why would they do this? For a while they had PC hardware... you could get some video cards and such there. Then again for a while they also had pen and paper RPG books in rare supply. So who the eff knows.
I don't recall ever seeing PC hardware at a Gamestop. Babbages, Electronics Boutique and Software, Etc. did before they were murdered by Gamestop, though. I really wish Software, Etc. was still around. I remember going their and drooling over the video card section as a kid.

I don't recall ever seeing PC hardware at a Gamestop. Babbages, Electronics Boutique and Software, Etc. did before they were murdered by Gamestop, though. I really wish Software, Etc. was still around. I remember going their and drooling over the video card section as a kid.

They have occasionally sold things like mice, keyboards, mouse pads and headsets. That's about all I've seen at GameStop as far as "computer hardware" goes.

I'll take some Game Stop hardware if it's competitively priced. I literally have no where else locally to buy PC parts since CompUSA closed. My local Best Buy's don't stock anything other than some keyboards, mice and few low end PSU's.

If their prices were competitive and the kept good stock locally I'd consider this a good thing. I'd like to actually have the option to buy quality PC components locally. I think if Gamestop stopped focusing on console gaming and focused on gaming in general they may have a chance of survival. By gaming in general I mean table top gaming, PC gaming hardware, gaming accessories, hard to find components. All things gaming that aren't digital. Change the stores focus to "community games store" and not "corporate chain store that sells console video games".

If their prices were competitive and the kept good stock locally I'd consider this a good thing. I'd like to actually have the option to buy quality PC components locally. I think if Gamestop stopped focusing on console gaming and focused on gaming in general they may have a chance of survival. By gaming in general I mean table top gaming, PC gaming hardware, gaming accessories, hard to find components. All things gaming that aren't digital. Change the stores focus to "community games store" and not "corporate chain store that sells console video games".
Only worry would be them selling used parts as new like they do with games, taking the product out of the box for "security" reasons. After securely testing the product extensively in a private setting, am I right?

Only worry would be them selling used parts as new like they do with games, taking the product out of the box for "security" reasons. After securely testing the product extensively in a private setting, am I right?
I don't think they will be able to security test a 3090 let alone a 3080 in the pos dell "desktop" they got online for a sweet deal.

They have occasionally sold things like mice, keyboards, mouse pads and headsets. That's about all I've seen at GameStop as far as "computer hardware" goes.

I seem to recall them having a good bit of PC hardware selections back in the early '00s. GameStop was about the only "gaming" retail store we had where I grew up. The other brands like Electronics Boutique where in the bigger cities that were a few hours from where I lived.

Could be good, but who am I kidding, will probably really suck. A shame.

Could be good, but who am I kidding, will probably really suck. A shame.
I would be all for more B&M stores carrying PC hardware, but with the recent announcement that Gamestop are probably going online only makes this forgettable. We already have plenty of good online retailers for PC hardware.

I would be all for more B&M stores carrying PC hardware, but with the recent announcement that Gamestop are probably going online only makes this forgettable. We already have plenty of good online retailers for PC hardware.
We have a lot of online retailers but I couldn’t really point to one that is “great”. I still tend use Newegg to find what I want to buy from other sites.

My area at least has no B&M hardware stores left. Best Buy has a single shelf with some random older components, but not enough to build a full PC and all at ridiculous prices.

How is it that auto parts stores are a dime a dozen and seem to stick around even in this day where very few people can still work on their own car, but a computer parts store can’t stay open anywhere. Even the small town I live near (pop. 12k) has an Autozone, a Napa, and an O’Reillys- along with 4 actual mechanic shops. But the nearest Frys is 4 hours away (if that even still counts) and Microcenter is 5-6 hours away.

How is it that auto parts stores are a dime a dozen and seem to stick around even in this day where very few people can still work on their own car, but a computer parts store can’t stay open anywhere. Even the small town I live near (pop. 12k) has an Autozone, a Napa, and an O’Reillys- along with 4 actual mechanic shops. But the nearest Frys is 4 hours away (if that even still counts) and Microcenter is 5-6 hours away.

It's never been easier to work on your car actually. I can diagnose my GTI with a Android app and have pretty much done all repair and maintenance on it myself.

I dont do oil changes (not worth it to me). But Ive done everything from timing belts to replacing a cracked sunroof (don't ask).
As long as you have the tools and the space, it's just time spent.

Obviously, it's not for everyone, but neither is PC building, Baking bread, Fly fishing, Sewing your own clothes etc.....

Become a Patron!
Back