GameStop Entering PC Hardware Business?

It's never been easier to work on your car actually. I can diagnose my GTI with a Android app and have pretty much done all repair and maintenance on it myself.

I dont do oil changes (not worth it to me). But Ive done everything from timing belts to replacing a cracked sunroof (don't ask).
As long as you have the tools and the space, it's just time spent.

Obviously, it's not for everyone, but neither is PC building, Baking bread, Fly fishing, Sewing your own clothes etc.....

Not a chance. It is far more time consuming and more difficult to work on new cars. One stupid example. I just did a battery swap on a '08 1500. To do that, you have to remove the coolant overflow tank. Why? There is enough room under there for the battery to not have a frame rail above it and the coolant overflow tank to not be attached to the battery box. I don't even want to get into what it took to replace the the alternator on the XC90.

We have a lot of online retailers but I couldn’t really point to one that is “great”. I still tend use Newegg to find what I want to buy from other sites.

My area at least has no B&M hardware stores left. Best Buy has a single shelf with some random older components, but not enough to build a full PC and all at ridiculous prices.

How is it that auto parts stores are a dime a dozen and seem to stick around even in this day where very few people can still work on their own car, but a computer parts store can’t stay open anywhere. Even the small town I live near (pop. 12k) has an Autozone, a Napa, and an O’Reillys- along with 4 actual mechanic shops. But the nearest Frys is 4 hours away (if that even still counts) and Microcenter is 5-6 hours away.
That is why I said "good," not "great" ;).

Not a chance. It is far more time consuming and more difficult to work on new cars. One stupid example. I just did a battery swap on a '08 1500. To do that, you have to remove the coolant overflow tank. Why? There is enough room under there for the battery to not have a frame rail above it and the coolant overflow tank to not be attached to the battery box. I don't even want to get into what it took to replace the the alternator on the XC90.
Brand/model specific issues have been around forever and are not modern inventions.

I could give you a whole list of pain in the *** to work on cars from the past 30 years but i think I hijacked enough here, sorry.

Brand/model specific issues have been around forever and are not modern inventions.

I could give you a whole list of pain in the *** to work on cars from the past 30 years but i think I hijacked enough here, sorry.

Nah, this isn't brand/model specific. Overall shop hour times for jobs has increased over the last 30 years as have the capital costs for equipment to the point that it is all but impossible to do the jobs we used to do by hand without a computer based system to aide and many more hours.

It has all been driven by the new safety features, luxury features, fuel efficiency increases, propagation of front wheel/AWD designs, increased emissions control systems, etc.

Go drop a modern transmission and then try and drop one on a '60s era vehicle. You would be surprised.

Nah, this isn't brand/model specific. Overall shop hour times for jobs has increased over the last 30 years as have the capital costs for equipment to the point that it is all but impossible to do the jobs we used to do by hand without a computer based system to aide and many more hours.

It has all been driven by the new safety features, luxury features, fuel efficiency increases, propagation of front wheel/AWD designs, increased emissions control systems, etc.

Go drop a modern transmission and then try and drop one on a '60s era vehicle. You would be surprised.

To each their own, I don't have issues working on modern cars and do it regularly. :)

Not surprised by much automotive either, I'm not that young and built and drove Rally cars in the 80's back in the old country, Scandinavia.

Just thinking about working with Gamestop idiots to buy pc hardware...... nope nope nope

They just need to crawl into the ground and die already.

Could it be worse than the idiots that work at Best Buy?

That's a coin toss. But I don't buy PC parts at Best Buy so what do I know (I did buy a case there one time back in like 2004 only because I had GC to burn)

Become a Patron!
Back