GeForce RTX 3000 Series May Feature Dual-Sided PCB with Traversal Coprocessor

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
traversal-coprocessor-1024x576.jpg
Image: Coreteks

Despite the amount of discussion it’s generated so far, NVIDIA’s new heatsink may not be the RTX 3000 series’ most significant novelty. According to a video by Coreteks (via Wccftech), green team’s upcoming GPUs will sport something extremely interesting: a dual-sided PCB with what’s being described as a “traversal corprocessor.” What this entails is a GPU core on one side, and a second coprocessor on the other. The point of this is improved ray-tracing performance.

Apparently, RTX Cores, which the current series introduced, will now be located in the separate coprocessor, as opposed to being embedded in the primary GPU core. Much of this is still in rumor territory, but as Wccftech points out, NVIDIA did patent traversal coprocessors for better ray tracing just a few years ago...

Continue reading...

lol - ok if its real, rumors are saying its for RTX. Some are saying its a separate card for RTX. If it is a co-processor on the card for RTX, are they admitting that their card can't run RTX efficiently on its own?

lol - ok if its real, rumors are saying its for RTX. Some are saying its a separate card for RTX. If it is a co-processor on the card for RTX, are they admitting that their card can't run RTX efficiently on its own?

Maybe they're splitting the die up due to package size and yields.

Amazing you mean that we may see a market for Video cards and RTX coprocessor daughter boards you add to cards? You can get a basic RTX capable card for cheap. Then for 300 dollars more you can get the RTX Coprocessor to really accelerate that experience.

I think someone on these forums suggested that would be a design direction some time ago. I wonder who that could have been...

Well this, at least in part, addresses a question I had regarding one of the cards. Previous x90 cards from NVIDIA were dual GPUs. Of course, SLI is dead but this info would apply to the concept of a 2nd processor. I used to love reading the reviews of people with dual GTX 690s, and those waiting for the GTX 790s.

Become a Patron!
Back