GeForce RTX 3080 (20 GB) to Cost $999? NVIDIA Reportedly Flooding GPU Market in November to Wash Away AMD

DDR6X still hasn't entered main stream production - even the 8GB part is still listed as only sampling for prototype use. There were never any manufacturing level yields to speak of.

It's possible the status of this web page is out of date, but .... we still have no cards, and no official reason why, this is the conspiracy theory I choose to believe.

This is exactly why I think a new SKU with even more RAM is lunacy, or at best a sheer marketing paper launch... much like the lower VRAM 3080 has proven to be to date. You can hold back all the GPU bins you want from Samsung, but with no GDDR6X, you still aren't putting out cards.

This theory only works if NVIDIA were the only manufacturer of these cards. But it wouldn’t explain MSI, EVGA, Asus, Gigabyte, etc. all selling out.

So the conspiracy theory will be ' proven ' if we see the flood of high gb high price cards... We will see. It is logical to think that if they having trouble now, the should have trouble in November also, as there's never been magic ramp ups in the pc world... If there is a magic ramp up of these even higher memory cards, then very clearly it was a dirty trick to increase prices.
If there is no dirty tricks, Nvidia could see themselves in a shortage vs a hard launched powerful card from AMD (hopefully not another soft quasi paper launch)

This theory only works if NVIDIA were the only manufacturer of these cards. But it wouldn’t explain MSI, EVGA, Asus, Gigabyte, etc. all selling out.
NVIDIA manufactures and distributes the processor package to AIB manufacturers. Same with Micron and GDDR6X. AIB manufacturers are producing cards as fast as they can based on the supply coming in.

So the conspiracy theory will be ' proven ' if we see the flood of high gb high price cards... We will see. It is logical to think that if they having trouble now, the should have trouble in November also, as there's never been magic ramp ups in the pc world... If there is a magic ramp up of these even higher memory cards, then very clearly it was a dirty trick to increase prices.
If there is no dirty tricks, Nvidia could see themselves in a shortage vs a hard launched powerful card from AMD (hopefully not another soft quasi paper launch)

While the higher GB card might be more expensive, I'm not so sure Nvidia makes more money on them as the BOM goes up and I"m thinking the memory they use is not cheap.

I would not be surprised if the current lack of cards is due to them basically discontinuing the current 3080 for a 20 GB if indeed they want to launch those to at least have some semblance of inventory if they are having issues with getting enough supply of their GPU's.

While the higher GB card might be more expensive, I'm not so sure Nvidia makes more money on them as the BOM goes up and I"m thinking the memory they use is not cheap.

I would not be surprised if the current lack of cards is due to them basically discontinuing the current 3080 for a 20 GB if indeed they want to launch those to at least have some semblance of inventory if they are having issues with getting enough supply of their GPU's.

They might make more money on FE cards, but the article says higher memory versions of the 3080 are board partners models only.

So it's the board partners who will make more money, not Nvidia. They will still just sell the GPU package. Unless they have some weird provisions in their license/supply agreement where they take a portion of every sale, not just sell the parts.

They might make more money on FE cards, but the article says higher memory versions of the 3080 are board partners models only.

So it's the board partners who will make more money, not Nvidia. They will still just sell the GPU package. Unless they have some weird provisions in their license/supply agreement where they take a portion of every sale, not just sell the parts.

If it comes to pass that there is better availability of the 20gb cards than the 10gb cards I'll call it profiteering. Then again the cards are not a NEED so it's only somewhat dirty pool.

for all we know the contacts with AIB's only covered 3080's in the 10 GB form. Nvidia could have restructured those contracts for the 20 GB variant to charge more per GPU package.

for all we know the contacts with AIB's only covered 3080's in the 10 GB form. Nvidia could have restructured those contracts for the 20 GB variant to charge more per GPU package.
I think if Nvidia says jump, AIB ask how many milimeters. So absolutely.

Last edited:
Become a Patron!
Back