GIGABYTE Announces AORUS Gen4 7000s Prem. SSD with 2 TB Storage and 7 GB/s Read Speeds with No Throttling

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
gigabyte-aorus-gen4-7000s-prem.-ssd-1024x576.jpg
Image: GIGABYTE

GIGABYTE has announced its latest premium PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD, the AORUS Gen4 7000s. Equipped with the latest Phison E18 8-channel controller, GIGABYTE’s AORUS Gen4 7000s Prem. SSD is notable for being able to maintain read speeds of up to 7 GB/s and write speeds of up to 6.85 GB/s with no throttling thanks to a cooling solution that comprises an M.2 Thermal Guard with nano-carbon coating, dual-sided thermal conductivity pad, and aluminum M.2 base plate. GIGABYTE recommends that its AORUS Gen4 7000s Prem. SSDs be paired with premium motherboards such as AMD’s x570 and Intel’s Z590 series.

Image...

Continue reading...

That thing is just a big bitch.
Picture makes it look big, but that's still a regular-sized 2280 M.2 drive underneath. If it only takes up extra space vertically I could see it fitting in a lot of places.

Then it'll stick out sideways and interfere with those new triple slot GPU coolers?
Could be?

Really depends on the setup; If you need something this reliably fast (of which I remain skeptical), you're probably running HEDT too. I buy NVMe drives because that's what my systems support, not because I need >3GB/s transfer speeds, let alone >7GB/s.

And the 'no throttling' claim is really key here. Makers of professional video cards (i.e. Angelbird) may put 3x the amount of flash on the card than is exposed through the controller to make sure that it can indeed write its full capacity without throttling.

Chances of Gigabyte getting close to that?

Great for people that need sustained speeds.

Will they benefit gamers? Probably not. At least my PCIe 4.0 NVMe drive performs no better in games than my 3.0 drives.

Will they benefit gamers? Probably not. At least my PCIe 4.0 NVMe drive performs no better in games than my 3.0 drives.

It may be what is needed to be able to be used in the PS5 as additional storage

It did perform better on your wallet though!

;)
Mine does, but only just barely. Maybe by a few seconds here and there but definitely not enough to justify the price but still glad I got it. I went in for a 1 TB and I'm not out a huge amount of money but won't be upgrading it until those prices come down a lot more.

That is a fair sized cooling setup. I don't have any boards that could utilize it without mods.

Maybe in another year, when I tire of knitting, I may upgrade mobo's and revisit finding a faster than I currently have nvme.

Become a Patron!
Back