GIGABYTE Unveils XTREME Prestige Limited Edition Motherboard and Graphics Card Series

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
GIGABYTE has launched the XTREME Prestige Limited Edition series, a new lineup of hardware that is said to embody luxury and exclusivity, featuring components with white iridescence, accented with crystalized titanium textures and adorned with a 99% Au gold serial plaque.

See full article...

US$2,000 motherboard, anyone?

Has TB4 and 10GbE, but if you use the NVMe 5.0 slot, it cuts your x16 graphics slot down to x8 still... And that's the only slot.

US$2,000 motherboard, anyone?

Has TB4 and 10GbE, but if you use the NVMe 5.0 slot, it cuts your x16 graphics slot down to x8 still... And that's the only slot.
It has to be that way. The CPU only has 16 PCIe Gen 5.0 lanes. Those same lanes are connected to the PCI-Express x16 slot. It only supports a configuration of 1x16 or 2x8 when divided between multiple devices. The other lanes are part of the PCH and irrelevant in this context. They aren't Gen 5.0 capable and even if they were, it wouldn't change how the CPU allocates them.

I find this thing supremely disappointing because it doesn't have a water block on it for the price. At least when ASUS charges you 2K for a motherboard you get a nice monoblock for cooling.

Seems kinda gimmicky if that's all the models give.

It has to be that way. The CPU only has 16 PCIe Gen 5.0 lanes. Those same lanes are connected to the PCI-Express x16 slot. It only supports a configuration of 1x16 or 2x8 when divided between multiple devices. The other lanes are part of the PCH and irrelevant in this context. They aren't Gen 5.0 capable and even if they were, it wouldn't change how the CPU allocates them.
Oh, I blame Intel; it was clearly the only way for them to be able to claim that they had a single NVMe 5.0 slot on the LGA1700 boards, while AMD X670E boards can host two.

Also helps to understand why Intel is leaving LGA1700 for those not so much familiar with how motherboard / chipset I/O has evolved (and continues to).

The name alone is enough to make me look away. XTREME Prestige. Factor in everything you guys are saying about this and it's a hard no even if I had the cash to throw away.

I still have a hard time not choking every time I read SUPRIM but I'll at least give MSI credit for quality products with that one, now that I've owned 2 different GPUs.

The name alone is enough to make me look away.
We go through stages of grief every time they come up with another new naming scheme don't we?

I mean, what did folks think of the first time someone put out a 'GODLIKE' board? Or when they started running the Fatal1ty name into the ground?

I guess I've conditioned myself to hold back whatever feelings arise when encountering new names. Yeah, it probably sounds silly, but if it catches on it catches on.

But I'll at least give MSI credit for quality products
Aside from being entirely unnecessary, this 'Xtreme Prestige' board is likely a serious quality product for Gigabyte. These halo boards are as much functional boards as they are tools for overclocking competitions (professional or just assumed), and they're also straight up marketing, because being flashy means getting recognized on someone's test bench.

And failure, well, that gets around too. Look up the disappointment felt with inconsistent memory performance on ASUS' Z690 Maximus Apex; trust levels in that community took real hit for ASUS when some copies would fly and others get outrun by a TUF board.

Become a Patron!
Back