Glorious Model O- Wireless Mouse Review

LazyGamer

FPS Junkie
Introduction

Glorious is an up-and-coming gaming computer peripherals manufacturer, taking their name from ‘The Glorious PC Gaming Race’. Today we’re taking a look at their recently-released Model O- Wireless, which is a $79.99 wireless entry on the now-classic mid-sized Model O- symmetrical gaming mouse. The O- Wireless joins the larger Model O Wireless, as well as the wireless versions of their ergonomic Model D and Model D- gaming mice, all of which come in unique versions as well. There are black and white versions as well...

Continue reading...

Sounds like something appropriately named for a Valentines Day Review.

If I asked my wife if she wanted a Glorious O, she'd jump all over it.

On a serious note - great review and the pictures are awesome!

Good review. I just recently discovered Glorious mice and bought a Model D wired and it might be my new favorite mouse. I really love the shape of this thing and I really like the software, mainly because you don't really need it. Once you set it, you don't need it again. It doesn't even have an option to start with Windows that I've found at least.

Good review!

The product probably isn't for me, but I liked how you tackled and presented it.

I just don't understand how people use such light mice. I prefer heavy mice for stable tracking.

Back when I had a Logitech G5 followed by a G500 I used to run with the weight cartridges maxed out. I did the same for the brief period I had that ugly G502 Proteus Core thing.

Now I use the relaunched MX518. At 99g it was WAY too light for me, but it didn't have a weight cartridge, so I crackled the case and added 3oz of tungsten putty (the kind you use to tune the weight of pinewood derby cars) inside the mouse. This resulted in a 185g mouse which is perfect for me.

I think it comes down to how you use the mouse. I've noticed a lot of kids these days ride their hand on the mouse like it is some sort of car, and move their entire arms to move the mouse, using HUGE mouse pads and very low sensitivity.

Not only is this ergonomically awful (expect repetitive strain injuries by age 30) but it also doesn't feel very effective to me.

I still use my original RatPad. That's all the tracking surface I need. The base of the palm of my hand stays fixed, firmly planted on the desk. The mouse gets moved by twisting my wrist. All the way to the left to all the way to the right represents 360 degrees of motion (so I can turn around 180 degrees by moving either left or right)

The arm never moves at all.

Here is an illustration I made a couple of years ago:

You can't really tell, but there is no weight sitting on top of the mouse at all. The palm of my hand is barely touching it. The entire weight of the hand is resting on the wrist. The fingers kind of drag on either side of the mouse and drag it with them.

The extra weight provides stability, otherwise the whole mouse moves when you - for instance - try to press a mouse button.

I'll say I've done both - I likely had the same lineup of 500-series mice as well as several RatPadz.

One thing that helps with the light mice is a cloth mousepad. I used to not enjoy those, but I've warmed up to them lately. I use a large cloth mousepad that goes under the keyboard as well and I'm good.

I also try to remind myself and others that it really is a function of what works best for you. I let a friend borrow my full-size, wired Model O (the first one they released, creaks and all!), and he went right back to his G502.

If anything, it's a matter of control versus responsiveness. Heavier mice have inertia, which while adding a weightiness that can help stabilize and smooth mouse movements, does act against more snappy inputs.

Personally, I know what I prefer, but having been doing this PC gaming thing for thirty years now I can adjust to just about anything. I did review the G502 Hero and honestly had no problem using it except for that somewhat awkward thumb-tip button, even with all weights installed.

Thanks!

The pictures are definitely something we've been working on here :cool:
And I'm way behind the curve on that. You and Brent are much better at them than me. (Despite having almost the same setup as Brent.)

If anything, it's a matter of control versus responsiveness. Heavier mice have inertia, which while adding a weightiness that can help stabilize and smooth mouse movements, does act against more snappy inputs.

That is true, but I think you have to consider the weight of the total system , not just the mouse.

I think in just about every circumstance, except some sort of freak of nature, even the heaviest mouse with just hand movement is going to be lighter than the lightest mouse, if you are moving your entire arm.

Some will point out that lower sensitivity will result in greater control. All else being equal, I agree, but all else isn't equal. As humans over hundreds of thousands of years we have evolved exquisite fine control with our hands and fingers. Less so with entire arm movements.

Either way, I think you are right. It depends on what works for YOU, and you shouldn't let anyone else tell you how to do it.

I just don't understand how people use such light mice. I prefer heavy mice for stable tracking.
I am the exact same way and use my mouse exactly like this. I didn't even know I was part of the Zara fan club! My wife and kid always thought it was odd that every mouse I've ever had was loaded with every weight it came with, and I'd often crap on mice they liked because they felt too light or too fragile/cheap/insubstantial. My arm never moves, and just from my hand the mouse is tuned so it goes full width of my side by side 16x9 monitors (usually ends up being about 2 full 360's in a FPS) from left to right without needing to pick up the mouse or move my arm.

I will say, over the years, I can tell in my wrist and top of my hand when I've been on the computer too long for too many days in a row -- so it hasn't saved me entirely from repetitive strain. It sucks getting old.

I am the exact same way and use my mouse exactly like this. I didn't even know I was part of the Zara fan club! My wife and kid always thought it was odd that every mouse I've ever had was loaded with every weight it came with, and I'd often crap on mice they liked because they felt too light or too fragile/cheap/insubstantial. My arm never moves, and just from my hand the mouse is tuned so it goes full width of my side by side 16x9 monitors (usually ends up being about 2 full 360's in a FPS) from left to right without needing to pick up the mouse or move my arm.

Same general philosophy, but I think you run a little bit more sensitive than I do! I keep game sensitivity and desktop sensitivity separate, adjusting in game until from the extreme left of my reach to the extreme right of my reach (without moving my arm) is almost exactly 360 degrees. I gauge this from the center point though. I point at a wall, whip the mouse from center to far left or right and expect to be pointed 180 in the opposite direction. I fine tune in game sensitivity until this is the result.

I will say, over the years, I can tell in my wrist and top of my hand when I've been on the computer too long for too many days in a row -- so it hasn't saved me entirely from repetitive strain. It sucks getting old.

That's the sad truth. Getting older sucks, but it beats the only alternative.

I don't claim to be a student of ergonomics, but I must have been doing something right. I'm in my early 40's, and have been using computers any chance I get for over 30 years and thus far (knock on wood) I haven't had any evidence of carpal tunnel, or any other repetitive strain injury.

Given my interests and the amount of time I spend using computers both during work and my free time, I figure it's only a matter of time before I have a problem, but thus far, I have been spared any issues. I imagine luck of genetics, as well as my habits both have a factor in this.

Thanks!

The pictures are definitely something we've been working on here :cool:

Indeed, they look great.

What is your technique? A soft light box of some kind with a diagonally draped green or blue cloth to make it easier to do a background to alpha conversion?

I use something like this when I take pictures in order to sell stuff in the marketplace:

box.jpg

(Pardon the mess, I was in a bit of a hurry, and just shoved everything out of the way to take pics)

It's pretty good. I wish it were slightly larger, but it does the job. I could easily make my own with a box and tissue paper, but this one was cheap enough so I just bought it.

It does what I ask it to (my camera on the other hand, could use an upgrade)

01b.jpg
04.jpg

Similar, but either black or white with overhead and several side lights, along with a reflector and a black backdrop in reflection paths for stuff like case windows.

Lighting is most of it, but also doing white balance tuning with a grey card (not always successful, as color can change just by rotating a product), while doing processing in Lightroom (Classic!), Zerene Stacker for focus (depth) stacking, and Photoshop for detailing. Wife helps quite a bit and we trade off different stages of the processing pipeline.

Capture hardware has varied; biggest thing is to be shooting at base ISO on a tripod or other solid stabilization. At some point I'm going to try using an iPhone, but for the moment we're using Canon DSLRs and a handful of lenses along with their desktop remote software.

Become a Patron!
Back