Glossy or flat/textured mouse ?

Auer

FPS Regular
I really like flat textured mice surfaces, but they always develop glossy spots from wear.

Do Glossy mice hold up better?

You should expect them to wear, glossy or no. I wore completely through the coating on my Steelseries Sensei on touch points for a personal example.

Think of a mouse's 'contact surfaces' the same way you'd think of car tires. Anything with outstanding grip is going to wear, and anything that doesn't wear is going to have more noise-vibration-harshness (NVH).

Also, mice are cheap, and still usually last seven to ten years in wired form absent a catastrophe or three.

Was hoping one would outlast the other, like a gloss black non painted would basically just look the same as its just black plastic.
Maybe.

Michelin Pilot Sport btw, everything else is just a runner up.

Was hoping one would outlast the other, like a gloss black non painted would basically just look the same as its just black plastic.
Maybe.
Could be, but it's a pretty complex question. I'm saying 'don't worry about it' because I don't think that you'd ever get a straight answer.

Buy what you like :)

Michelin Pilot Sport btw, everything else is just a runner up.
Sadly they don't come in passenger car sizes... but I still run Michelins.

I despise glossy mice. I find they are harder to grip. That being said, glossy or not, mice and keyboards show wear pretty fast given how much I use them.

I despise glossy mice. I find they are harder to grip. That being said, glossy or not, mice and keyboards show wear pretty fast given how much I use them.
I suppose there's no way around it.

I hate just about anything glossy, from car interiors to film cameras. But I do think glossy wears a bit longer.

For a mouse the ergonomics of it trumps anything else.
If you like the feel of glossy go for it. Personally I do not, but that’s a personal

A good mouse will last me 3ish years, but probably starts showing wear like you describe before the end of the first. That said - ergonomics wins, and if I like the mouse I keep using it.

I kinda liked the feel of that Logitech rubberized stuff when it was new, but after just a short while, like 3 months, it would start to feel like snot then I couldn’t stand it. I wasted a lot of money on mice when that was popular.

My Corsair M65 had this coating the felt like Line-X truck bed spray - it was pretty rough on my pinky finger when it was brand new if I was on it for more than a couple of hours, but as it wore it actually got more comfortable to use and was one of my favorites.

Become a Patron!
Back