Godfall Requires 12 GB of VRAM at 4K with Ultra HD Textures, Which Could Pose a Problem for NVIDIA’s GeForce RTX 30 Series

What happened to the "I'm glad games are pushing hardware envelope" people?

What happened to the "I'm glad games are pushing hardware envelope" people?
All for it of course, as long as it's not because of incompetence or lazy dev ****.

RT fits that category too, and I'm a fan.

Also, about pushing hardware...

It probably is not in the best financial interest of a publisher to have a game with very high requirements. From a sales point of view.

That should mean that it would be smart to have well optimized games. And yet...

Also, about pushing hardware...

It probably is not in the best financial interest of a publisher to have a game with very high requirements. From a sales point of view.

That should mean that it would be smart to have well optimized games. And yet...

Ideally, games would be able to push the boundaries of what modern hardware could do, yet scale well with older hardware and still look appealing. On the subject of optimization, its not necessarily a matter of that. Sometimes choices were made in the design which cost performance but may have made the game look better. Crysis famously did this and its probably the sole reason why the game has aged as well as it has.

That said, games that aren't optimized worth a crap are often a result of developers doing the bare minimum to get things to run on the PC platform. Often because publishers who are shouldering much of the development costs push companies into releasing product quickly.

Become a Patron!
Back