GOG Is Notifying Users about the Migration of CD PROJEKT RED Online Services to a New System Effective on March 5

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
GOG is notifying its users via email about a forthcoming migration of various online services over to a new system run by its parent company. Users are being told that they needn't do anything and that their account info, including login credentials and passwords, will be transferred to the new system which is set to go online as of March 5. Online features such as Cross Progression and My Rewards, along with CDPR forums are among the things that will be getting migrated over to the new system, and users who are logged online into their games will remain logged in after the change. Those who do not want to have their data moved over can opt out of the transfer.

See full article...

If memory serves correctly, they've done this in the past as well, so it isn't new. As a long-time GoG user, I vaguely recall being migrated from the original service I signed up for to CD Project Red. This seems like yet another reorganization and hand off.

That said, I always keep up-to-date local copies of my entire library's game installation files for the eventuality that GoG (or whomever ultimately ends up holding the service bag) closes shop. It isn't a matter of "if" but "when".

I got the email from GOG and was wondering what it was all about. Why do I need a separate CDPR account on top of my CDPB (aka GOG) account? I'm thinking of opting out, so they don't automatically make me an account I don't need and don't want.

I got the email from GOG and was wondering what it was all about. Why do I need a separate CDPR account on top of my CDPB (aka GOG) account? I'm thinking of opting out, so they don't automatically make me an account I don't need and don't want.

My understanding is that it should stay the same account and it will just be managed on the back end by another entity - unless I've missed something. If you opt out and give up your account, you'll lose everything in your online library; you'll of course keep the files you've already downloaded.

I can't claim to speak for them. I read the email, too. And again, unless I missed something big, I wasn't terribly worried about their plan.

If you opt out and give up your account, you'll lose everything in your online library; you'll of course keep the files you've already downloaded.
From the email:

"How does this affect my current GOG account?
Your GOG account and all your GOG purchases remain unaffected. The GOG.com website and the GOG Galaxy app will continue to use the GOG account system. Your GOG account will be separate from your CD PROJEKT RED account.

Can I opt out?
If you do not wish to have a CD PROJEKT RED account created for you, you may opt out of the account creation process by clicking this link. After the account system migration, you will be able to delete your account with the same link.

If you choose to opt out, please note that on March 5th, 2024 you will lose access to Cross Progression, My Rewards, and RED Forums, and all connected data will be permanently deleted."

So yeah, the CDPR account is separate, and apparently has no bearing on my GOG account. So it will just be an extra, useless account I don't need.

If you choose to opt out, please note that on March 5th, 2024 you will lose access to Cross Progression, My Rewards, and RED Forums, and all connected data will be permanently deleted."

Thanks for the clarification. I must have glossed over that in my reading.

Yeah, I have no clue what those are unless they're the opt-in "features" from when you accept their freebie game giveaways (with marketing strings attached) or related to their Galaxy app.

Are the RED forums separate from the GoG forums? Since I don't play either the Witcher games or their Cyberpunk game, are these forums somehow related to those games? I rarely ever use the GoG forums because they're clunky as all get out; they're functional in a utilitarian sense, but not much more than that.

First and foremost for me, GoG is a digital storefront; it's where I buy games. I rarely need to discuss how or what I play with others, and when I do, there are better alternative outlets available.

If you choose to opt out, post back and let me know how that affected your GoG library or user experience, if at all. I may follow your lead because I probably don't use these "features" anyway. 😁

Last edited:
IDK what are they doing but GOG Galaxy has been acting up all weekend. Throwing errors. Wasn't even able to log in for a while.

Yeah, when I was looking on GOG for info about this story there was a post there about some technical difficulties they were going through. I put it at the end of this story for reference.

@DrezKill , @Ditchinit

Not going to lie. I read and reread that email about a dozen times and I'm still not sure about what all it's implying. Outside of buying and downloading my games, and updates, I don't use GOG much so I'm not really sure what else they're trying to express. I figure that for now, I'll roll with it since I don't keep any payment info there and anything else regarding me is easily found via google so no big loss there.

I read and reread that email about a dozen times and I'm still not sure about what all it's implying. Outside of buying and downloading my games, and updates, I don't use GOG much so I'm not really sure what else they're trying to express.
Yeah man, same here.

IMHO there should be laws preventing single player games from requiring any launcher/client or account at all.

Become a Patron!
Back