GOG Version of The Witcher 3 Now Free to Those Who Own the PC or Console Version

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-poster-1024x576.jpg
Image: CD PROJEKT RED

As an incentive for using its new Galaxy 2.0 games launcher, GOG is offering a free copy of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt to anyone who already owns the critically acclaimed RPG on either PC or console. Normally, a second copy would be pretty pointless, but this is GOG we’re talking about, which means no DRM – you’ll always have a playable copy of CD PROJEKT RED’s hit game, one that truly belongs to you.

“Starting from today, if you connect the platform where you own The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt with GOG GALAXY 2.0 (we recommend versions 2.0.16.182 for Windows and 2.0.16.195 for macOS), you will receive a GOG.COM copy for free,” explained GOG. “The game will show up in your games library inside the...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, console I get. But do I really need *another* copy aside from steam/epic etc?

Always good to have a DRM-free backup copy. I appreciated that CDPR automatically gave Steam owners a free backup copy of Witcher 2 on GOG. Now they are doing it again with Witcher 3, only catch is that you have to redeem it through the GOG Galaxy 2.0 client. So you get a DRM-free backup copy of Witcher 3 on GOG just for already owning it on Steam, EGS, PS4, or XB1. Pretty cool.

Ironically I just bought both W2&W3 on GOG as part of their summer sale a few weeks back. Good news is that I got both W3 GOTY and W2 EE for under $20. Bad news is that I could've waited and had them for free since I already had them with Steam. Oh well. Since the covid restrictions began I decided to finally do my first play through of W1 EE back in March-April. Since all three games import saves from the previous game, causing minor story changes, I decided I'd continue onward with the next two. I literally just finished the 2nd last weekend and getting ready the third. It was kind of neat how some NPC's commented on events from the previous game. Also just got a CRG9 and totally looking forward to seeing W3 in ultrawide. Another nice thing with GOG is that it will import your game saves for W3 from steam. I was totally shocked about that but they do have less cloud storage which can create issues if you have a lot.

Last edited:
Become a Patron!
Back