Google Begins Processing Refunds for Stadia, Its Failed Cloud Gaming Service

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Google has begun its process of automatically processing refunds for all purchases of games, add-on content, and subscription fees (other than Stadia Pro) made through the Stadia store, marking the official end to its cloud gaming service, which apparently failed to take off among gamers following its launch just a few years ago in November 2019.

See full article...

They launched, and immediately lost faith in themselves. I don't remember what specifically made me think that way, but something did a few months after launch. These things are very long term commitment, and could be a lot of money loss.

Reminds me of Google wave. That really became Google docs.

I got a full refund for Cyberpunk from Google that I bought back in 2020! I did not ask for it, and wasn't expecting it. So basically I played CP for free and got a free Chromecast and a controller for free. I know I can use the controller wired on PC, I just wish there was a wireless way to use it.

Google's Stadia had super great potential, IMO. The handcuffed always-online disaster, Google's CEO lack of vision/marketing for Stadia, the CEO refused to add Stadia on all its Android devices and its competitors' devices, Stadia had very limited reach in many territories, not acquiring excellent talent/studios and on and on.

The infrastructure is still there, though, so, Alphabet could make a return to Stadia once Larry and Sergey finally decides to replace their current lame CEO.

Reminds me of Google wave. That really became Google docs.
Google hasn't done a better office software why I don't know. It all feels like some billionaire agreement between ms and google... They kind creep into each other's territory but don't really launch a full assault. MS desktop dominance could really be attacked by Apple, and Google, could have been for many years, I mean a real assault, none ever does. Then again ms was too late in mobile, but in my opinion they gave up too quick, they should have kept things up... Feels like those billionaire agreements i think happen over at parties.

Google hasn't done a better office software why I don't know. It all feels like some billionaire agreement between ms and google... They kind creep into each other's territory but don't really launch a full assault. MS desktop dominance could really be attacked by Apple, and Google, could have been for many years, I mean a real assault, none ever does. Then again ms was too late in mobile, but in my opinion they gave up too quick, they should have kept things up... Feels like those billionaire agreements i think happen over at parties.
Wow! Great minds think alike!

It does seems like +something+ protects certain entities from a full blown annihilation from their behemoth rivals.

e.g. Xbox vs Playstation. Microsoft +somehow+ (😏) has allowed Sony to beat them in everything conSLOW related, BAD (PS5 had more SECURED yield at release, MS has more studios but has waaAAaay less content than Sony, etc.) and everyone knows that Microsoft could aquire Sony and still be valued at a trillion+ company. Wtf!

Google's Stadia had super great potential, IMO. The handcuffed always-online disaster, Google's CEO lack of vision/marketing for Stadia, the CEO refused to add Stadia on all its Android devices and its competitors' devices, Stadia had very limited reach in many territories, not acquiring excellent talent/studios and on and on.

The infrastructure is still there, though, so, Alphabet could make a return to Stadia once Larry and Sergey finally decides to replace their current lame CEO.
It actually worked pretty well 95% of the time. I did Cyberpunk that way for 2 reasons... at the time around launch, the PS4 version was unplayable, and the PC version was buggy AF and you had to have a supercomputer. The Stadia version was rated as the best experience at the time. 95% of the time, I couldn't tell I was playing on a streaming service. Not having to deal with constant patches, and it launched like instantly. The other reason was they had a promo with CP and gave you all the hardware for free with the purchase. The ability to play basically anywhere was a neat idea but I primarily used my PC or the big TV.

The selection of games on the Stadia store was pretty limited though. Mostly shovelware / kids stuff, and Ubisoft stuff. AAA titles were few. If they could have got more big titles I think it could have worked out. But I'm sure MS and Sony had NOTHING to do with that :)

Become a Patron!
Back