Google Fiber Announces 5 Gig and 8 Gig Plans, Launching in Early 2023

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Google Fiber has announced that it will be launching new 5 Gig and 8 Gig plans for customers who demand even greater speeds and bandwidth.

Go to post

Yea... I mean that SOUNDS great... until you have to update all of your infrastructure at home to 10gb networking. Exactly how many home routers support 10gigabit... anyone? Lets see what google says.

Even the 500 dollar routers that are BARELY for home use only have 2 10 gig ports...

So I guess that's great if you have VERY heavy wifi use and only 1 computer that needs the full 8 gig speed.

maybe they should work on getting their existing service out to more people......

until you have to update all of your infrastructure at home to 10gb networking.
I think the sales pitch would be that you don't need 10GB networking -- GF would provide you with a WiFi router (I assume, for lease, but I don't know).

And the reason you don't need that - the high speed is for allowing more devices to be able to connect simultaneously. Presumably primarily over WiFi. And that the latest WiFi 6 standard supports speeds "up to" nearly 10 Gbps.

Now, we all now, "up to" is a very big loophole, wifi is never as good as wired, and all that jazz. But the main selling point will be "To connect ~all~ your devices".. not to get super speed to one computer.

I think the sales pitch would be that you don't need 10GB networking -- GF would provide you with a WiFi router (I assume, for lease, but I don't know).

And the reason you don't need that - the high speed is for allowing more devices to be able to connect simultaneously. Presumably primarily over WiFi. And that the latest WiFi 6 standard supports speeds "up to" nearly 10 Gbps.

Now, we all now, "up to" is a very big loophole, wifi is never as good as wired, and all that jazz. But the main selling point will be "To connect ~all~ your devices".. not to get super speed to one computer.
Unless you have 50 devices pulling down 4k content you're not even getting close to 1 gigabit really. Especially with slicing and how caching works with the players these days.

Unless you have 50 devices pulling down 4k content you're not even getting close to 1 gigabit really. Especially with slicing and how caching works with the players these days.
Yup, I agree. That's the wonders of marketing.

Coming soon to nowhere near you, unless you live in Austin or one of the other 3 cities that have Google fiber.

Honestly though... I upgraded from 200 to gig FIOS... I cannot tell the difference even on heavy usage days. The slowest component is always the other side of the internet anyway.

Coming soon to nowhere near you, unless you live in Austin or one of the other 3 cities that have Google fiber.

Honestly though... I upgraded from 200 to gig FIOS... I cannot tell the difference even on heavy usage days. The slowest component is always the other side of the internet anyway.
I have gig fiber as well and the only times it's really cool is when I'm downloading at 100 megabytes a second and the wife is streaming 4k tv.

Become a Patron!
Back