Google Job Listing Hints That It May Be Considering Licensing Options for Stadia

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
google-stadia-more-games-1024x576.jpg
Image: Google

Google has posted a new job listing for a Stadia Product Manager. Among a number of items in the job description, there is some emphasis on growing the platform across the gaming industry and its partners. Qualifications also include a focus on marketing, technical knowledge, and management. This is leading to speculation that Google may be looking into potential licensing options for Stadia. If true, this could open the doors for more developers to add their own streaming content to the platform using its open-source Vulkan API. It would also provide another avenue for game development following the announcement it would be closing its studio, Stadia Games and Entertainment...

Continue reading...

Wait what ever happened to nvidias cloud gaming service? Or did Microsoft kill it?

Another dead Google experiment. Tbh the annoying part about this one is not that they killed it, its that they announced it with such vigor and promise.
I think games as a service will have a big future but it will take a Netflix approach to it, with some very aggressive prices and a very aggressive pursuit of contents and free trial, share your account and all that. That could be risking billions. I think it would be worth it, i thought Google was betting on it for real.

Stadia works. It just needs love and attention (and better game selection and prices). But I won't be shocked if it gets killed off in a year if biz doesn't pick up.

Whenever that happens, I wonder if I can use my Stadia controller for anything else or does it just go in the trash...

I wonder if EGS actually wants a platform... imagine how many free games they could give with a streaming service subscription. ;)

Yeah, it is a shame. You'd think that they have the resources to make this really successful but it seems like it's not getting what it needs to be what it should.

Google really only understands one thing - data mining. All of the services that they keep up with and support all revolve around that one thing.

They obviously haven't figured out how to data mine gaming very well yet - at least to the point where they can siphon enough info out to make it worth the investment.

Become a Patron!
Back