Google Kills Cloud Print, Which Has Been in Beta for over a Decade

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Another Google service bites the dust. In a new support document, the search giant revealed that it would be terminating its cloud-based printing solution, Cloud Print, on December 31, 2020. The service was originally conceived in 2010 as a means of adding printing capabilities to Chrome OS, but now that native printing is possible, Cloud Print is being cut off completely. Google probably never cared enough to begin with, as it never left the beta stage.

Cloud Print integrated with other Google services like Gmail, Google Docs, and Chrome, and it was originally positioned as a printing solution for Chrome OS. But with Chrome OS offering native print services now, Cloud Print became superfluous. Certainly, the Chrome OS print experience is on par with that of, say, Windows 10 in S mode.

This is the biggest reason I don't purchase anything Google... Google Home, Stadia, Chromebooks, use G-services for business, etc.

Ok, Google Print wasn't exactly a paid service. True. But why would I ever invest in a Google ecosystem when they just pull the plug. They give you warning to transition, but don't exactly provide any transition

This is the biggest reason I don't purchase anything Google... Google Home, Stadia, Chromebooks, use G-services for business, etc.

Ok, Google Print wasn't exactly a paid service. True. But why would I ever invest in a Google ecosystem when they just pull the plug. They give you warning to transition, but don't exactly provide any transition
The more expensive chromebook hardware is pretty nice and you can run Linux on it. I agree with you on not getting invested in any google products other than maybe gmail/drive/docs though. They just seem to throw something at the wall and see what sticks.

Become a Patron!
Back