GPU Shipments Suffer Biggest Quarter-to-Quarter Drop Since 2009 Recession

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
A new report from Jon Peddie Research has revealed that year-to-year total GPU shipments, which include all platforms and all types of GPUs, decreased by -25.1%, desktop graphics decreased by -15.43%, and notebooks decreased by -30%, amounting to what the marketing, research, and management consulting firm has described as the biggest drop since the 2009 recession:

See full article...

Well, I think inflation is crushing many of us.
Hell yea it is.

I mean WTF going to taco bell for my wife and I is at LEAST 20 dollars now. You can't get two combo meals for that, and a sit down restaurant is at least 50 bucks before a tip. Cooking at home saves some but it isn't the drastic difference it used to be.

Oh and don't even think about going to ANY sort of stake join. More like 50 a person.

Good

Let them suffer, maybe they'll rethink their utterly outlandish pricing.
Kind of the inverse they are saying the actual supply of gpu chips went down overall meaning less supply without reduction in demand hence higher cost.

I’m hoping it revitalizes the lower tiers that kinda disappeared in the last 5 years. That entire sub-$250 market that used to be huge.

It wasn’t that long ago that when a new generation came out, it started with the lower end and worked its way up.

Well, I think inflation is crushing many of us.
I’ve used it as a reason to reevaluate a lot of my expenses. Why am I paying 119 / month for AT&T wireless? Save 49/month moving to Cricket. Why am I tolerating price increases from my pest control company? Called them, complained, and they said nothing they can do due to “inflation”. Got quotes from 3 other places called them back to cancel and suddenly they found the ability to cut my cost 40%.

I’ll buy a 7950 tomorrow, but only because microcenter is like 200 off with free 32gb ram and 50 combo discount with a mb purchase.

Took the same approach to groceries too - this brand of oatmeal is $2 instead of 6? Sold. Buy flour in 25 pound bags and save like 50% per pound - pancakes are super cheap to make from scratch, easy, and the kids love them. Eggs got expensive? Screw that, replace them with flax seed for baking.

And so on - I’ve cut my costs on anything that I could find that raised prices. If everyone was intolerant of price increases, companies would have to eat into their margins to sell things.

Kind of the inverse they are saying the actual supply of gpu chips went down overall meaning less supply without reduction in demand hence higher cost.
Shipped just means number of units bought by retailers and distributors. We had constant availability since launch. I couldn't see a 30xx in stock for months after they launched that. They are shipping less, because retailers selling through much less, it is not a supply bottleneck.

Shipped just means number of units bought by retailers and distributors. We had constant availability since launch. I couldn't see a 30xx in stock for months after they launched that. They are shipping less, because retailers selling through much less, it is not a supply bottleneck.
Grim is trying to say, I think...

If the manufacturers are going to be selling fewer units (for whatever reason, could be manufacturing issues, could be soft demand), they are going to make up for it by making the units more expensive, continuing the trend of raising MSRPs.

Grim is trying to say, I think...

If the manufacturers are going to be selling fewer units (for whatever reason, could be manufacturing issues, could be soft demand), they are going to make up for it by making the units more expensive, continuing the trend of raising MSRPs.

Nvidia said during their last earnings call they were going to manipulate the market as to sell trough what's left on the 3xxx series cards and that is exactly what they are doing while still making sure they keep the performance crown.

If you look at the steam harware survey you will see that the amount of 3xxx series cards have significantly risen in the last 6 months where one would assume that nr's would slow down as the new stuff is getting closer if demand was met somewhere in time but that seems not the case.

Rising prices to combat lower sales due to too high prices seems counter productive and would leave Nviddia with a lot of unsold chips rotting in a warehouse, they can't just change production amounts on a whim as these are usually allocated years in advance.

Rising prices to combat lower sales due to too high prices seems counter productive and would leave Nviddia with a lot of unsold chips rotting in a warehouse, they can't just change production amounts on a whim as these are usually allocated years in advance.

Nvidia Ampere prices have started rising again while AMD RDNA2 prices are still dropping.

This suggests that 30x0 cards are selling out while 6xx0 cards are still in stock

https://www.hardwaretimes.com/nvidi...gain-amd-radeon-rx-6900-xt-stabilizes-at-654/

Nvidia Ampere prices have started rising again while AMD RDNA2 prices are still dropping.

This suggests that 30x0 cards are selling out while 6xx0 cards are still in stock

https://www.hardwaretimes.com/nvidi...gain-amd-radeon-rx-6900-xt-stabilizes-at-654/

That's what I said, Nvidia manipulates the market to sell the 3xxx series first but 4080's are not selling well at all as most people seem to agree that they are too expensive, now it's a wait and see game to see of 4xxx series prices will drop or at least the 4080's as the 4090's seem to sell better.

That's what I said, Nvidia manipulates the market to sell the 3xxx series first but 4080's are not selling well at all as most people seem to agree that they are too expensive, now it's a wait and see game to see of 4xxx series prices will drop or at least the 4080's as the 4090's seem to sell better.
30xx cards are also too expensive to be worth buying. $1000 for a 3080 here in the east end of EU. And $1500 for a 3090 right now.
With the 4080 coming in at $1750, and the 4090 starting around $2500.

But the whole lineup is available to buy : 3080, 3080 Ti, 3090, 3090Ti, 4080, 4090

But the whole lineup is available to buy in stock, from 3080, 3080 Ti, 3090, 3090Ti, 4080, 4090

one of my go to shops has no longer any 3080 and up listed from the 3000 series the other one still has a couple 3080's, but nothing listed anymore above that either other then the 4000 series ofc.

Become a Patron!
Back