Halo Infinite Delayed to 2021

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
halo-infinite-key-art-1-1024x576.jpg
Image: 343 Industries

343 Industries has announced that Halo Infinite is being delayed to an unspecified date in 2021. This means that Microsoft’s Xbox Series X will be launching without its flagship title. It also suggests that 343 really took those criticisms of Halo Infinite having terrible graphics to heart. Here’s the full statement from Studio Head Chris Lee:

Halo Infinite Development Update pic.twitter.com/TFZvXhRN9f— Halo (@Halo) August 11, 2020

Today I want to share an important Halo Infinite development update with the community. We have made the...

Continue reading...

I'm not surprised. The graphics were underwhelming and looked dated before the game ever launched. It's going to take a long time to fix that. Not only that, but I don't think they want Halo to face off with Cyberpunk 2077 during the same holiday season. That's a game that's going to break records and set some new ones. Halo is a franchise that's on the decline. Halo going open world is also a risky business for 343 and Microsoft. Added to that the ****ty graphics which have become internet memes and the game just isn't ready for prime time. Delaying it is the smart move.

Last edited:
Yea I can't remember a time I was hyped for a game. Like cyberpunk so much... Maybe a decade.. Maybe 2?

Come back Bungie! Slap 343 around a bit and straighten them out already ..

Yeah it needs the time for some Polish and I agree that launching nearby Cyberpunk 2077 would be a bad bad move.

So this one is supposed to be like Destiny right? In the sense of a continuing story / multiplayer and maybe not so much with the single player campaign?

Also I think I read this will be immediate launch on PC as well? I think MS needs to rethink decisions like that, if they want Xbox to succeed. But that's another conversation completely.

I'm trying to remember my Halos.... played 1 on OG Xbox but didn't love it. Never played 2. 3 was pretty good on 360, ODST was also good. Halo 4 was solidly meh. I skipped xbox this gen so I've never played 5. What started out as this new, totally different type of FPS is now kinda like pretty much every other FPS now.

So this one is supposed to be like Destiny right? In the sense of a continuing story / multiplayer and maybe not so much with the single player campaign?

Also I think I read this will be immediate launch on PC as well? I think MS needs to rethink decisions like that, if they want Xbox to succeed. But that's another conversation completely.

I'm trying to remember my Halos.... played 1 on OG Xbox but didn't love it. Never played 2. 3 was pretty good on 360, ODST was also good. Halo 4 was solidly meh. I skipped xbox this gen so I've never played 5. What started out as this new, totally different type of FPS is now kinda like pretty much every other FPS now.
All the information gleaned so far points to a traditional Halo experience where the campaign is solo or coop and multiplayer is completely separate. The only difference is the campaign going semi-open world with the main story and quests you can choose to do or not do.

Yes, Microsoft's strategy seems to be to "flood the shelves" with software based on all the studios they're buying up, and part of that strategy is releasing games on every platform at the same time. I don't think they will be measuring the success of the Xbox brand going forward based on consoles.

I'm playing back through the first right now as part of the MCC, and the story is really the only thing special about it. The gameplay dumbed down multiple generations of first person shooters that came after it, and it feels just as shallow now as it did then. The level design in the campaign is also repetitive and just drags on for no apparent reason. I am reminded of review of Kreed: "See, a lot of these areas are copy and pasted: Whole hallways, rooms... so it gets a little confusing." The mechanic of going through an entire level to find a key/complete an objective only to have to backtrack through the whole thing again is also here.

I never finished the second game, as it suffered from the same issues. Only this time, you had the illusion of complexity by the levels mostly occurring in outside areas. The Arbiter was also very dull. Still, the story was pretty good up to the point I could not stomach the gameplay one more minute. We'll see how my MCC playthrough goes this time around.

Third game I have good memories of. Most of the levels were actually about pushing forward to an objective and things changed up to increase intensity as you progressed. Seems like Bungie learned a lot about pacing after the first 2 games, finally.

I never played through the other games. I started up 4, but I have the memory of rolling my eyes constantly throughout the beginning of the game and just stuck to the multiplayer. I actually found the multiplayer in 4 to be pretty good, contrary to most saying it was bad. A lot of the complaints seemed to be about things I didn't care about since I'm not an aspiring, stuck-up "professional."

Overall, Halo has always been a very mediocre game to me and I never understood the praise showered upon it by so many. Not to mention the aforementioned fact that it ruined nearly every FPS game coming after it, much like World of Warcraft did to MMORPGs.

I never played through the other games. I started up 4, but I have the memory of rolling my eyes constantly throughout the beginning of the game and just stuck to the multiplayer.

Is ODST part of the MCC? Definitely give it a play. Since you're not playing as master chief, you are fragile and easy to kill. Changes the feel. Solid voiceover work too Nathan Fillon etc

I'm trying to remember my Halos.... played 1 on OG Xbox but didn't love it. Never played 2. 3 was pretty good on 360, ODST was also good. Halo 4 was solidly meh. I skipped xbox this gen so I've never played 5.
There was also Halo Reach on X360, Bungie's last Halo game.
Regardless of if you like Halo or not, 5 wasn't that great, you're not really missing anything.

Is ODST part of the MCC?
It is indeed.

I never played through the other games.
I think ODST and Reach were the best ones out of all of them.

I forgot about Reach. That's the one where you play other Spartans and not master chief right?
Yeah you play as Noble-6 who is part of a group of Spartan-IIIs called Noble Team (although there is a Spartan-II like Master Chief in the group). Master Chief does make a hidden cameo at the very end (you have to manually move the camera over in one cutscene to see him). Reach is a prequel to Halo 1. I think Reach works well because after 4 games, Bungie learned to focus and fine-tune the level design and gameplay (although I feel like vehicle use was pared down a bit). Reach kinda plays like a "Halo's Greatest Hits," so to speak. It has a much better flow through the game than all the other Halo games. I still really appreciate ODST's take on the formula though, with the mix between open exploration of the hub city and then actual individual levels. And yeah, playing as a normal human brings that extra sense of vulnerability that makes the gameplay a bit more engaging (and they brought back health meters and health packs). One thing I really appreciate about Reach though is bringing the Elites back as main enemies. Halo 3 was full of Brutes and The Flood, the two enemies I dislike the most. ODST was also mostly full of Brutes. So yeah, Reach was a breath of fresh air, getting to fight Elites again.

Become a Patron!
Back