Halo Infinite Gets a Stunning New Campaign Trailer with Much Improved Visuals

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
halo-infinite-key-art-1-1024x576.jpg
Image: 343 Industries

343 Industries has shared a new video for Halo Infinite’s campaign mode that should alleviate any of the concerns that fans may have had regarding the game’s visuals, which were put into question by last summer’s relatively bland and uninspiring gameplay premiere. Everything from textures to lighting has clearly been improved in what is said to be the most wide-open and adventure-filled Halo experience yet. The overview teases a new, naïve AI companion that Master Chief will be teaming up with, as well as old favorites such as the Scorpion tank.

From Xbox:

The Banished have defeated UNSC forces and taken control of the mysterious Zeta Halo, threatening the survival of humankind. When all hope is lost and humanity’s fate hangs in the balance, the Master Chief returns to confront the most ruthless foe he’s ever faced. Here’s a fresh look at the...

Continue reading...

I wouldn't call it stunning, it still looks extremely dated compared to other titles. I'd say its almost up to Destiny 1 standards overall with slightly better lighting in the outdoor scenes but worse indoor.

I still think Halo is the most over rated video game ever.

I think it looks better than Destiny 1, but I don't have any direct comparison there considering that Destiny 1 was never on PC. However, the visuals are much improved over what we saw last year. Of course, what they really did was improve textures and lighting effects. It's still the same basic visuals. My guess is this project should have been out years ago and 343 bungled it and what we are seeing is a delayed game that they've tried to polish up to modern visuals as best as they could without scrapping their work and starting over.

Rumors are that there were mismanagement issues at 343. Additional technical issues could have arisen as well given that 343 is not used to making open world games. Honestly, it looks decent enough but the real problem is whether or not taking Halo open world is a good idea. Those games succeeded as a result of two things: 1.) A polished, structured and tightly woven narrative. 2.) Multiplayer.

The game may very well have what it takes on the second part to succeed. Going open world may very well hurt the game on the former. The thing is, open world games or semi-open world ones tend to have pacing issues and usually feel like generic, almost MMO like experiences with a similar quest structure. That probably won't go over well with long time Halo fans.

On another separate note, people seem to be praising the art direction, but in my opinion 343's art direction in Halo 4 were the one thing that 343 did better than Bungie. I vastly preferred Halo 4 and 5's visual style over that of the Bungie games.

Its a huge improvement over the previous trailer, but still lags many other titles. Doesn't look that good for a next gen console.

Having never played any of the Halo games; would I be missing out on anything significant jumping straight into this version?

I never play SP games and therefore don’t watch any game trailers. I think this visually looks pretty good! What SP games make this look dated graphically?

It looks dated for a reason...lol This game hasn't changed since HALO 1. Everything LOOKS the same. It's just shinier.
Look, it's a "free" game. You can play MP for free. It might give you a few hours to kill. I'll probably end up getting it anyway, and hope the competitive mode is worth something.

It's not just the graphics that is dated, it's the whole gameplay. This is straight out a shooter from the nineties. If you are into retro things I guess it could be OK, but I'm really not interested in that.

Become a Patron!
Back