Here’s How a Portal Remake Could Look in Unreal Engine 5 with Ray Tracing

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
It's unclear when (or even if) Valve will ever stop swimming in its Steam cash pool long enough to make time for a Portal 3, but artist and YouTuber Alf Does Stuff has shared a look at how a new installment of the endearing puzzle-platform series could look on newer technology.

Go to post

Enough with the remakes already, just make new games and sequels.

Nothing needs a remake that is not at least 20 years old.
I disagree. There are plenty of good games where all they need is a full graphics over haul. Diablo ii resurrected has been a fantastic example of how to do it well.

I disagree. There are plenty of good games where all they need is a full graphics over haul. Diablo ii resurrected has been a fantastic example of how to do it well.
Yeah, that's exactly why they are doing it. Easy money. Instead of doing something that actually needs a remake because it's too old and clunky by today's standards. Or god forbid making a brand new game. Yeah it's much cheaper to take an already good game, slap a few graphical upgrades on it, and sell it for $40. Instead of making a new game with 10 times the effort and selling it for $60.

Since everything is being done in the new Unreal engine, how about they do that to the original Unreal Tournament without changing the game play at all?

I'd probably pay full price for an actual X-Wing/Tie Fighter remake. I've been very tempted to check out those remake mods that have been floating about.

I'd probably pay full price for an actual X-Wing/Tie Fighter remake. I've been very tempted to check out those remake mods that have been floating about.
Those already got a remake back then. The X-Wing Collector's CD-ROM. I actually played it recently and they hold up pretty well.

Those already got a remake back then. The X-Wing Collector's CD-ROM. I actually played it recently and they hold up pretty well.
I was kinda thinking something more recent than 1994. There's been a couple of advancements in graphics since then.

Flying and simulation games are one of the best use cases for VR. Give me all the X-Wing / Tie Fighter games with expansions, the wing commander games, mech warrior, etc all with a stunning engine that supports VR with 1 video card per eye.

Give me an engine that not only can use 2x 3090s, but makes me want to spend the money for it

I was kinda thinking something more recent than 1994. There's been a couple of advancements in graphics since then.
Space is really one of the most forgiving settings in terms of graphics. Most of the time you are looking at a blank screen with dots. And if the recent "Squadrons" game is any indication of the quality we can expect, I'd rather they stayed far away from the classics.

Become a Patron!
Back