Here’s Our First Look at Jared Leto’s Joker in Zack Snyder’s Justice League

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
zack-snyders-justice-league-joker-first-look-closeup-1024x576.jpg

Joker fans who despised Jared Leto’s appearance in Suicide Squad can sigh a breath of relief, as Vanity Fair shared two exclusive black and white photos today that reveal a different look for the iconic villain in Zack Snyder’s definitive version of Justice League. Instead of a slicked-back emerald undercut and “damaged” forehead tattoo, Leto will return in the revised cut of the 2018 superhero assemblage with a cleaner, more sinister visage that swings a bit closer to the character’s more popular live-action interpretations. Vanity Fair also shared some surprisingly spoiler-heavy comments that reveal what kind of role Joker will play in the movie and which scenes he’ll appear in.

(Spoilers) “Joker appears in the new film during a sequence set on a ruined Earth after the alien tyrant Darkseid invades and decimates the...

Continue reading...

Nothing really different about his appearance aside from it looking like he's been locked up in an institution for years from his appearance in Suicide Squad. And Joker's visual appearance isn't what made Leto's interpretation of the character bad.

I liked him in the part but just felt the writing had more issues than anything. The semi-modern-hip-hop gangster approach was o.k. since the original had ties to period gangster stuff but still seemed shallow. I was only able to make it through SS once so at this point I'm already forgetting what I did or didn't like. Even with having it free on HBO Max I can't make myself watch it again. Seems like they just cannot nail good writing that encompasses all the nuances of the character in live action.

I liked him in the part but just felt the writing had more issues than anything. The semi-modern-hip-hop gangster approach was o.k. since the original had ties to period gangster stuff but still seemed shallow. I was only able to make it through SS once so at this point I'm already forgetting what I did or didn't like. Even with having it free on HBO Max I can't make myself watch it again. Seems like they just cannot nail good writing that encompasses all the nuances of the character in live action.

Suicide squad got more **** than it generally deserves. That being said, it suffered from the same issues as the other DC movies. There isn't enough character development or story given that they try to cram too much into a given film trying to take shortcuts to get where the MCU is without doing all the leg work.

I was only able to make it through SS once so at this point I'm already forgetting what I did or didn't like.
Same situation here.

...it suffered from the same issues as the other DC movies. There isn't enough character development or story given that they try to cram too much into a given film trying to take shortcuts to get where the MCU is without doing all the leg work.
Yupz, that's how all these DCEU movies have felt to me, especially the latter ones.

Speaking of, has anyone seen the Birds of Prey movie yet? How is it? I'm also wondering how Wonder Woman 1984 turned out.

Same situation here.

Yupz, that's how all these DCEU movies have felt to me, especially the latter ones.

Speaking of, has anyone seen the Birds of Prey movie yet? How is it? I'm also wondering how Wonder Woman 1984 turned out.
I'd say that for both it's a to each their own. We enjoyed both but with WW84 you really gotta take it as a popcorn, look the other way, when it comes to plot holes and such. You could tell Pedro really loved the part. It had moments on every end of the spectrum, good or bad.

I went in with low expectations for Birds of Prey. The full title alone was enough to make me not want to watch but actually thought it was pretty decent. I waited until it was on HBO Max. As Dan as mentioned, go in without high hopes and you'll usually come out better for it. At some point I may actually re-watch it again. Definitely felt closer to the character than Suicide Squad was. I do recommend to anyone who's a fan to watch the animated series. To me, it's more definitive as a whole and there's some serious laughs.

Meh, at least in SS he was original looking (although he didn't have enough screen time to develop any deep personality). Now it just looks like he's trying to redo Heath Ledger's Joker.

I'd say that for both it's a to each their own. We enjoyed both but with WW84 you really gotta take it as a popcorn, look the other way, when it comes to plot holes and such. You could tell Pedro really loved the part. It had moments on every end of the spectrum, good or bad.

I went in with low expectations for Birds of Prey. The full title alone was enough to make me not want to watch but actually thought it was pretty decent. I waited until it was on HBO Max. As Dan as mentioned, go in without high hopes and you'll usually come out better for it. At some point I may actually re-watch it again. Definitely felt closer to the character than Suicide Squad was. I do recommend to anyone who's a fan to watch the animated series. To me, it's more definitive as a whole and there's some serious laughs.

I haven't seen Bird's of Prey. However, what they've done with several of the characters is terrible. I have no desire to see it based on what I have seen about it and what I know of the actual source material. To say it isn't faithful to the characters would be an understatement.

Same situation here.

Birds of Prey felt like there may have been a good story there, but it falls flat due to the injection of wokeness. In particular, I felt that Ewan McGregor could have been an excellent Black Mask, but the injection of "extreme misogyny" and the homosexual relationship with Zsasz completely ruined it. Leading to Zsasz, he is a shell of a character simply there to be an instrument for Black Mask to enact his female hatred beyond his reach. The character is not crazy or sadistic in the least like his comic book version.

I also liked Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Huntress, but her character is not given a chance to grow at all during the movie and she is discarded as background comic relief. Harley starts out as the fun and sadistic character we love, but for some reason she turns extremely lame in the second act as she becomes a reluctant mother figure to Cassandra. I don't have any opinion on Black Canary as I honestly have no knowledge or experience with the character, but Jurnee Smollett did a fairly decent job in the role to move the story along.

Bottom line on Birds of Prey is that it was a frustrating movie to watch. It seems like the creative process was hampered by the need to inject wokeness into the movie which ultimately ruined it.

Wonder Woman 1984 was just bad in nearly every way. I did however think it was funny that the villain as a "Trumpian" figure turned out to have the most development and growth throughout the entire movie. The motivation and conclusion to his story just reveals him to be a loving and protective father. On the other hand, Diana is shown to become completely crippled both literally and figuratively for her love of a man, and the only growth she experienced is learning how to fly once she is freed from those shackles. Cheetah, meanwhile, shows us the true feminine nature as her wish to be like Diana eliminates her humanity and she exhibits a need for unbridled violence against others.

Bottom line on WW84 is it was a hilariously ironic movie, but a sad look at what the future of the disparate DCEU cinematic future looks like.

Bottom line on WW84 is it was a hilariously ironic movie
Carried through to real life as Patty was complaining about not having enough control from the 1st one, the HBO Max thing, and then saying she might not return the next but perhaps serve in some executive capacity. Not too long after that, it was announced she would return. Complained about not enough control, got it, then had doubts, then changed mind to return. Ironic.

I haven't seen Bird's of Prey. However, what they've done with several of the characters is terrible. I have no desire to see it based on what I have seen about it and what I know of the actual source material. To say it isn't faithful to the characters would be an understatement.
There is a short but sweet cameo with the hyenas though.

I admit @Armenius , I'd forgotten how weird it got with Black Mask.

I did like the moment of realization with Harley when she decided f'it and just piss off everyone as part of a plan. That was pretty true to character though. I do agree, and probably tried to block it out in order to enjoy the movie(I have to do that a lot these days), the agenda was pretty thick. I also agree with Huntress but felt it ended up setting up the character by the end. Another major rewrite though.

Become a Patron!
Back