Hideo Kojima Doesn’t Agree with PS5 Version of Death Stranding Being Called “Director’s Cut”

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
death-stranding-directors-cut-key-visual-1024x576.jpg
Image: Kojima Productions

Sony recently confirmed that the next-gen version of Death Stranding, Death Stranding: Director’s Cut, would be released for PlayStation 5 owners to enjoy on September 24, 2021. What’s interesting is that the mastermind behind the game, Hideo Kojima, has now revealed that he wasn’t responsible for Death Stranding’s new “Director’s Cut” label and isn’t a fan of it. Being a cinema buff, Kojima explained via Twitter that the name isn’t really appropriate because director’s cuts typically imply that content was cut or considerably altered from the director’s original vision, which isn’t the case with Death Stranding. Kojima points out that his new version of Death Stranding introduces new content rather than restore material that was removed for scheduling or other reasons. The implication is that marketing departments hold tremendous...

Continue reading...

Isn't he supposed to be the head of his own studio now? So who has the power to go against him?

Sony was/is the publisher of the console versions of Death Stranding, so they call the shots when it comes to these PlayStation 4 and 5 versions.

Yeah, I was kind of wondering about that title designation too. Even if it was restoring content, which it wasn't, calling it Director's Cut doesn't really seem Hideo's style.

Yeah, I was kind of wondering about that title designation too. Even if it was restoring content, which it wasn't, calling it Director's Cut doesn't really seem Hideo's style.
I said that he is the only one who could get away without being called out for it. And he did, his fanboys didn't show a hint of criticism for this ill-advised title. But now I'm sure they'll have a sudden change of heart.

Probably just a misunderstanding/mistranslation somewhere. I'm sure Sony was trying to stroke Kojima's ego with the 'Director's' designation, but didn't understand the meaning behind the term.

I wonder if it's too late to rename it to 'Complete Edition' or 'Forever Walking Special Edition'.

I said that he is the only one who could get away without being called out for it. And he did, his fanboys didn't show a hint of criticism for this ill-advised title. But now I'm sure they'll have a sudden change of heart.
Well, I'm not really a fanboy or criticizing him, although I do hold him in high respect. Pretty sure Death Stranding is the only game I have that he was directly involved with and I haven't gone back to it since the PC launch(but do plan to someday). However, it did seem odd to me considering his unique approach to gaming and his overall style. I did shrug it off as not really knowing him that well but him speaking out only supported my hunch that something was off.

Probably just a misunderstanding/mistranslation somewhere. I'm sure Sony was trying to stroke Kojima's ego with the 'Director's' designation, but didn't understand the meaning behind the term.

I wonder if it's too late to rename it to 'Complete Edition' or 'Forever Walking Special Edition'.
At least they didn't call it the Kevin Costner Edition ;)

Well, I'm not really a fanboy or criticizing him, although I do hold him in high respect. Pretty sure Death Stranding is the only game I have that he was directly involved with and I haven't gone back to it since the PC launch(but do plan to someday). However, it did seem odd to me considering his unique approach to gaming and his overall style. I did shrug it off as not really knowing him that well but him speaking out only supported my hunch that something was off.
I didn't say you were a fanboy, I was referring to his biggest bootlickers like yongyea who didn't call out the odd naming, didn't even bat an eye when it was announced. But is probably already at work now on the video about how sony screwed over his hero by inappropriately naming the ps5 version.

I didn't say you were a fanboy, I was referring to his biggest bootlickers like yongyea who didn't call out the odd naming, didn't even bat an eye when it was announced. But is probably already at work now on the video about how sony screwed over his hero by inappropriately naming the ps5 version.
No worries and I know the types you mean. It's all good.

It looks more like Kojima does not understand the term correctly as the "cut" part does not stand for what is cut, more a industry term for what the version is that the director envisioned or delivered.

Then again I don't realy care about this guy, he never made a game I found worthy to play.

Become a Patron!
Back