Hogwarts legacy and AMD

Grimlakin

FPS Enthusiast
For the first time in my ownership experience... I had to adjust the fan curve to before aggressive on my amd card. I've never had that experience before but found after playing hogwarts legacy for a few hours andoving about in the game the system would go black screen and be completely unresponsive. I'd dug around in the OS looking for tne culprit and fhe only thing that stood out was (after a hard power off and power on at the power supply level) was my gpu would be close to 60c and gpu fans at around 545 rpm. So into the amd software.. found the fan curve settings and made my own. Set fan base speed to 50%. Now fans are running around 2500 rpm and my gpu temp is staying below 50c in game or just over.

Further the system is stable again with one extended gaming session tested.

What's really odd is everything maxed at 1440p and the gpu utilization reported to windows was normally around 60%.

Anyone else having to tweak for this game?

I wanted to add on my 6800xt with all of the reflection options turned on and set at high, playing at 1440p on my system the game is nearly locked at 60fps. If I turn reflections up to Ultra it tends to dip more and see some spotting hitching so High is enough.

Ive noticed some real dips so currently running reflections at medium everything else on and at ultra. 26 hours into the game already. I expect to see some additional content for this game... Like other schools to visit and unlocking under water activities. Maybe a school in the sky... Stuff like that would be fun I think.

What's really odd is everything maxed at 1440p and the gpu utilization reported to windows was normally around 60%.
I can't speak for anyone else, but Win10's Task Manager always reports GPU usage very incorrectly for me. I stick with MSI Afterburner+RTSS for accurate readings.

...my gpu would be close to 60c and gpu fans at around 545 rpm. So into the amd software.. found the fan curve settings and made my own. Set fan base speed to 50%.
I always make my own fan curves for every graphics card I own. I never use the default setups.

expect to see some additional content for this game
I mean things could change later, but it is surprising in this day and age when a developer does NOT plan on DLC right out the gate.

I mean things could change later, but it is surprising in this day and age when a developer does NOT plan on DLC right out the gate.
I respect the HELL out of this. It means everything they made that they could finish went directly into this version of the game. There was no held back content for a DLC or expansion.

Adjusting the fan curve has solved the black screen system lock. But I donhave Hogwarts legacy regularly crashing to desktop. It will generally do it once in the first 30 min then be fine for several hours then do it again. Not sure what is trigfering this behavior. I have not updated to the newest amd drivers release yet. Posted 2/23

Become a Patron!
Back