I upgraded a Ryzen 1700 to 3700x on cheapo Asrock B350 mb!

When did they lock out ECC? Last I heard it's spotty support but not locked out, just MB manufacturers haven't been adding much support wise. Possibly this changed and I missed things a so haven't really looked into it for a while. I agreed I'm wonder how Xe transcoding will be, and wish AMD would upgrade their encoding implementation.
It's the APUs, specifically. The 'normal' parts are down to the board, but only the 'Pro' APUs support ECC... and those are only sold to OEMs.

It's some Intel-grade product segmentation.

and wish AMD would upgrade their encoding implementation.
I honestly don't know if they need to; or if anyone knows, since no one can really take advantage of it. That's a big part of the rub, and it's a common criticism that AMD earns: they build the hardware, but the software doesn't come.

Sadly AMD has been very "lacking" on their encoding support. You know it's bad when it's an open-source project for all intent purposes and lead devs leave the project because of a lack of support from AMD

I honestly don't know if they need to; or if anyone knows, since no one can really take advantage of it. That's a big part of the rub, and it's a common criticism that AMD earns: they build the hardware, but the software doesn't come.
Huh? It has plenty of support, the quality is just sub-par. It's supported under both linux and windows as well as multiple applications, including their own recording software in their drivers. My complaint has nothing to do with software support, it has to do with lacking a good hardware implementation. I do agree that sometimes it's the software stack (or lack thereof) that lets AMD users down, but this isn't the case for the AMF/VCE, but a crappy implementation probably contributes to people not caring to implement support.

Most linux software (not all, but a lot) and a good amount of windows software use FFMPEG support AMF as does OBS that a lot of streamers use. Anyways, this will be my last post about their encoder as it isn't really relevant to the original post, sorry for going off topic.

Become a Patron!
Back