iBUYPOWER Debuts Walmart-Exclusive SLATE9050W Gaming PC

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
Image: iBUYPOWER

Consumers in search of a boutique or pre-built PC have been able to get them from iBUYPOWER since 1999. Over the decades, it has managed to expand its distribution to a number of physical and online retail outlets. It is not uncommon to find one at close to what it may cost to build yourself. Well, one such type of offering has just debuted as a Walmart exclusive, and it is already selling fast: the SLATE9050W...

Continue reading...

ibuypower and cyberpowerpc (same company.....that's when you know it is shady) were the **** stains of the 00's in Computer Shopper magazine.

OMG I remember Computer Shopper mag when it was like a phone book thick magazine that was 90% adverts. Sometimes I miss the 90s.

ibuypower and cyberpowerpc (same company.....that's when you know it is shady) were the **** stains of the 00's in Computer Shopper magazine.
Yep. I didn't really know that but I often speak about my OCD with reading reviews in threads and seen a mix of 'em. Seems like a roll of the dice for a pre-built. I admit though, as a kid, if my dad had got me one of these I'd be pretty happy for a 1st rig. RGB is a little overkill but for the price, not a bad way to start. As is, my first was a used Atari 400 and that was an awesome trip on its own.

OMG I remember Computer Shopper mag when it was like a phone book thick magazine that was 90% adverts. Sometimes I miss the 90s.
For me it's Compute!, a few different Atari ones, a couple of PC related that I can't remember, and some Playstation ones in the early 2000's. Compute! was my favorite until it's thinning slow death at the end of the 80's. From reviews, to code, it was awesome!

Yep. Same with office supply catalogs. I still remember seeing a laptop with a screen that could turn 180* then fold flat over the keyboard. I don't think it had touch capabilities but there must have been some software back then utilizing a stylus to turn it into a note taking device. I thought it was a great idea if it weren't for the fact it weighed ~13lbs. That and the cost was over $3k.

My first computer was a Compaq Presario with that ugly transparent purple "bubble" front. Granted it had a 1Ghz AMD Athlon that was a power house. I ended up replacing nearly everything in that computer except the CPU,but definitely the ugly case before losing it in Hurricane Katrina in 2005.

My first computer was a Compaq Presario with that ugly transparent purple "bubble" front. Granted it had a 1Ghz AMD Athlon that was a power house. I ended up replacing nearly everything in that computer except the CPU,but definitely the ugly case before losing it in Hurricane Katrina in 2005.

You didn't live the terrible prebuilt PC world in the late 90's unless you had a Packard Hell.

You didn't live the terrible prebuilt PC world in the late 90's unless you had a Packard Hell.

I didn't *have* one, but I did sell them at my computer retail job. Anyone remember Computer City? It was a clone of CompUSA except we had stupid yellow shirts instead of red ones. 2 years of my life I will never get back

For me it's Compute!, a few different Atari ones, a couple of PC related that I can't remember, and some Playstation ones in the early 2000's. Compute! was my favorite until it's thinning slow death at the end of the 80's. From reviews, to code, it was awesome!

Compute's Gazette for all your C64 needs. I wasted millions of hours typing in machine language code. Turbo-Tape comes to mind.

I remember Compute. That's how I got all the programs for the Timex Sinclair I had.

Hours and hours of typing code, only to have a brown out clear it all out before I could save it to tape. And even then, one misplaced character or space and it was all for naught.

I didn't *have* one, but I did sell them at my computer retail job. Anyone remember Computer City? It was a clone of CompUSA except we had stupid yellow shirts instead of red ones. 2 years of my life I will never get back

I should probably ban you for having inflicted such heinous crimes upon humanity............

Really. This is what my computer looked like. (Taken off Google Images, not my actual computer)
JKNspSU.jpg

It even had a spot at the top to store the "restore cds" that came with it. lol

^Looks very similar to my Dell from the P4 era... only Dell was black/silver IIRC. My last prebuilt was from Velocity Micro, some 12-15 years ago... came with a customer Lian-Li case, so that was pretty cool.

That compaq was the 1st pre-built PC I bought, followed about a year later I bought a Gateway clearance system that had an Intel PIII 933 processor in it. Used it as a second system for anyone without a PC who wanted to join my weekend LAN parties.

Haven't bought a pre-built since then; other than laptop/notebooks.

Really. This is what my computer looked like. (Taken off Google Images, not my actual computer)
View attachment 346

Compaq Presario looks like around 2000 era, like a p2-400 or celeron ish. I bought one that looked just like this for my Dad. Know what he said? Gee I wish it was a Dell.... last expensive thing I ever bought him (it was like a grand).

I should probably ban you for having inflicted such heinous crimes upon humanity............

I went out of my way to talk anyone out of buying those Packard Bell POS. But they were like half the price of the Compaq's of the day, and people went for cheap. Even the "in-house" systems were more than the PB ones. I mean this was 1993-94 there were not that many options.

View attachment 346

If I remember right, those were quite screwy to disassemble to replace things like hard drives. The purple part popped off after punching a paperclip sized button on the top exposing the rack or something like that.

/life as a computer shop tech in the early 2000's

Become a Patron!
Back