Illinois Rep Proposes Ban on Grand Theft Auto and Other Violent Video Games Following Spike in Carjackings

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
grand-theft-auto-v-trunk-1024x576.jpg
Image: Rockstar Games

State representative Marcus C. Evans Jr. has introduced a bill that aims to ban the sale of Grand Theft Auto and other similarly violent video games following an increase in carjackings in Chicago and elsewhere in the state of Illinois. The proposed legislation was spotted by the Chicago Sun Times, which noted that HB3531 would amend a preexisting law passed in 2012 that already prevents certain video games from being sold to minors. Evans’ new bill, if implemented, would ban the sale of video games depicting “psychological harm,” including “motor vehicle theft with a driver or passenger present,” to any and all individuals.

“The bill would prohibit the sale of some of these games that promote the activities that we’re suffering from in our communities.” Evans...

Continue reading...

I have a few thoughts on this, but I can't really go there without getting political. All I will say is that censorship isn't the problem and they don't call Chicago "Chiraq" for nothing. Such a measure is not only against the spirit of the First Amendment, but it's nonsensical and will do nothing to curtail the problems of that city.

But GTA 1-4 and San Andreas and Vice City are still OK right? It's just GTA 5 causing all of these problems :)

Wow, the 1990s called and want their politician back. LOL, someone has been living under a mountain, not even a rock.

motor vehicle theft with a driver or passenger present
Guess it's ok to steal a motor vehicle if the driver is not present.

Kinda funny, but Fox 5 Chicago did a piece on this and used a VOD from NoPixel GTAVRP.

Politicians love things that distract from real life hard problems.
Like poverty, racism etc.

But yeah, it's hard.

Become a Patron!
Back