Indiana Jones and The Dial of Destiny Opens at $60M Domestic on a $300M+ Budget: “Disastrous”

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Indiana Jones and The Dial of Destiny? More like Indiana Jones and the Box Office of Doom. Numerous entertainment outlets are reporting that the new movie with Harrison Ford, who celebrates his 81st birthday this month but couldn't turn down playing one of his most popular characters for one last time, only managed to make $60 million at the domestic box office when it opened this weekend. That's bad news for Disney and Lucasfilm, which reportedly spent over $300 million to make the movie.

See full article...

I think the economy is slowing down. I know I am, i ran out of strategies to mitigate the hits of inflation. Bye bye eating out (/which i didn't do too much, but now its zero) bye bye thoughts of travel/ vacation , bye bye any thoughts of upgrades things like this, so on, going out for a movie, also bye bye.

That's a shame.

We watched it earlier today and it was actually good. I really enjoyed it.

I have fond memories of the first three, ranking them up there with some of my top "feel good" films (not best films, but top feel good ones)

I found the 2008 Crystal Skulls one with Shia LeDouche utterly unwatchable. Shia LeDouche's character was a total JarJar Binks experience for me, all but killing the entirety of the film.

This one is back up there. It doesn't have quite the mystique of the first three, but that was probably never going to happen unless I found a time machine, traveled back to the 80's and deliver it to my childhood self to watch it for the first time.

You just can't watch these with the same wonder as you did seeing them for the first time as a kid, but this 5th installment had some of that same feel again, and I appreciated it.

Also, it was a bit long. Needed a pee-break mid way through. Reminded me why I never buy the large soda, and why I never go to movie theaters anymore. Once I get my home theater back up and running, I'll probably never go again. Also, $200 for dinner, concessions and tickets for three people. Totally not worth it.

This was also the first film I've seen in AMC's Dolby theater. To me it was a mixed bag. I liked the large screen, and the suurround effects were cool, but it was SO **** LOUD. Like seriously, walking out of the theater my ears were borderline ringing. I bet they ran the **** thing over reference the entire time. I shouldn't have to bring ear plugs to a film, like one might to a rock concert...

Those were my thoughts.

I guess the TLDR one liner is that this one was WAY better than #4, and I liked it as much as I could possibly see myself liking any Indiana Jones film, once the magic of childhood is gone. (I seriously vote for removing #4 from both canon, and erasing it from history. It was awful.)

This was also the first film I've seen in AMC's Dolby theater. To me it was a mixed bag. I liked the large screen, and the suurround effects were cool, but it was SO **** LOUD. Like seriously, walking out of the theater my ears were borderline ringing. I bet they ran the **** thing over reference the entire time. I shouldn't have to bring ear plugs to a film, like one might to a rock concert...
I will say I kind of prefer the rock concert volume levels... Ok not THAT loud but I want a experience better than I can do at home, that includes sound. And **** with how good a sound bar and a small sub sounds at home, that takes some real oomph to deliver.

I will say I kind of prefer the rock concert volume levels... Ok not THAT loud but I want a experience better than I can do at home, that includes sound. And **** with how good a sound bar and a small sub sounds at home, that takes some real oomph to deliver.

I can still feel that sensitive borderline ringing sensation in my ears 4 hours after the end of the movie.

I like to benefit from good sound in theaters too, but the AMC Dolby settings seem like they are just a bit much to me.

That, and I would argue that "louder" doesn't necessarily equal "better". That line of thinking just brings us the loudness wars we had in albums in the 90's and early 2000's.

Just like in my albums, I think I prefer my films with dynamic range. Make non-yelling dialogue roughly equal to conversational volumes. Make explosions LOUD.

Last edited:
I think the economy is slowing down. I know I am,
No, the actual few hit movies are proof that the economy is not slowing down. You can't have it both ways. If it was the economy then no movie would make a billion. People are loosing interest in bad, derivative movies designed to "kill the past".

No, the actual few hit movies are proof that the economy is not slowing down. You can't have it both ways. If it was the economy then no movie would make a billion. People are loosing interest in bad, derivative movies designed to "kill the past".
I posit that people are less willing to see something they feel meh about where they would have before when disposable income was in greater supply.

Reduce disposable income the willingness to shell out to go see a movie reduces. Couple that with increased prices across the board and your chance for audience engagement drops further.

At least that's how I see it.

We watched it earlier today and it was actually good. I really enjoyed it.
Oh daaaang, really?! Well hhhmmm... might have to check it out when the BD rips drop.

I found the 2008 Crystal Skulls one with Shia LeDouche utterly unwatchable. Shia LeDouche's character was a total JarJar Binks experience for me, all but killing the entirety of the film.
Gonna have to agree with you there.
HAHAHAHAHAHA I didn't even see what you did with his last name until I went back and re-read what you wrote!

You just can't watch these with the same wonder as you did seeing them for the first time as a kid, but this 5th installment had some of that same feel again, and I appreciated it.
Well sh1t man, that sounds pretty good!

Also, $200 for dinner, concessions and tickets for three people. Totally not worth it.
GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZUS!!!!!! You throw around prices like that, and I'm liable to faint like a southern belle in the hot summer who "got the vapors".

(I seriously vote for removing #4 from both canon, and erasing it from history. It was awful.)
And here's another vote from me.

This was also the first film I've seen in AMC's Dolby theater. To me it was a mixed bag. I liked the large screen, and the suurround effects were cool, but it was SO **** LOUD. Like seriously, walking out of the theater my ears were borderline ringing.
Reminds me of an experience my friend had. In D.C. there was a theater called Uptown (sadly closed now). It's one of those theaters where there is just ONE screen, but it is a huuuuuuuuuuge curved IMAX screen, the sound system is INSANE, and it seats a f*ckton of people (and I also recall it being quite expensive). My friend saw Dunkirk there. He said the audio experience made it feel like actually being in a war. He thought shells were exploding all around him, bullets whizzing past his head. The vibrations were shaking his flesh and bones like he was made outta Jello. He said he came outta that theater with actual shell-shock. He was pretty sure his eardrums exploded. He definitely had reduced hearing and ringing for a good long while after he said that movie. I have to admit though, it sounded like a pretty awesome experience. I value my ears and hearing too much to subject myself to that, but dang if that didn't sound like an incredibly immersive experience.

Reminds me of an experience my friend had. In D.C. there was a theater called Uptown (sadly closed now). It's one of those theaters where there is just ONE screen, but it is a huuuuuuuuuuge curved IMAX screen, the sound system is INSANE, and it seats a f*ckton of people (and I also recall it being quite expensive). My friend saw Dunkirk there. He said the audio experience made it feel like actually being in a war. He thought shells were exploding all around him, bullets whizzing past his head. The vibrations were shaking his flesh and bones like he was made outta Jello. He said he came outta that theater with actual shell-shock. He was pretty sure his eardrums exploded. He definitely had reduced hearing and ringing for a good long while after he said that movie. I have to admit though, it sounded like a pretty awesome experience. I value my ears and hearing too much to subject myself to that, but dang if that didn't sound like an incredibly immersive experience.
I saw Dunkirk in IMAX, too, and had the same experience at first. At the beginning of the movie where it follows the one soldier racing out of the city on foot, and he gets shot at, I literally looked over my shoulder when the sound of the round went whizzing by. Some of the best sound I've ever experienced.

I've seen two movies in Dolby Cinema so far: Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness and Top Gun: Maverick. I didn't have any ill effects to my hearing after either of those movies.

The Dolby audio is good, but not as good as IMAX. The IMAX audio is direct while Dolby is expansive, so the former sounds more natural and just hits differently. As a result, my overall experience of Top Gun was better seeing it in IMAX compared to Dolby Cinema.

At the beginning of the movie where it follows the one soldier racing out of the city on foot, and he gets shot at, I literally looked over my shoulder when the sound of the round went whizzing by. Some of the best sound I've ever experienced.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, awesome!

The Dolby audio is good, but not as good as IMAX. The IMAX audio is direct while Dolby is expansive, so the former sounds more natural and just hits differently. As a result, my overall experience of Top Gun was better seeing it in IMAX compared to Dolby Cinema.
Interesting. I've never heard the special Dolby setup, but I can definitely vouch for IMAX audio.

The feeling comes from a movie being good. The fact that you don't find it is mostly because there's so much suck in Hollywood. I know i got the feel good 'wonder' feeling with top gun maverick, but then again no woke bull kicked me out of the movie so there's that. I used to be fairly tolerant to now so called 'woke bs' but as they turned up the dial on it, now I'm way more sensitive and it kicks me right out of the movie.

I've seen two movies in Dolby Cinema so far: Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness and Top Gun: Maverick. I didn't have any ill effects to my hearing after either of those movies.

Hmm.

Maybe it wasn't the Dolby then, but maybe it was the mix in this particular film? Or maybe the interaction of this particular film and the Dolby expansion tech?

The reason I suspect that is because a friend of mine had the same comments about the new Indiana Jones and Dolby. We saw it on different days this weekend at different theaters in different parts of the state.

GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZUS!!!!!! You throw around prices like that, and I'm liable to faint like a southern belle in the hot summer who "got the vapors".

I may have rounded up a tiny bit, but not a ton.

4th of July was a rainout here. It was literally a torrential downpour the entire day. It literally rained on our parade :p

I wasn't sure if businesses would be open on the holiday, but we checked the internet, and what do you know, both of our equidistant AMC theaters were open, so we decided to go.

On the way to the car we realized we hadn't eaten, and thus chose to go to the mall, figuring we'd get a quick bite to eat in the food court before dinner.

Only one of the vendors in the food court was open. It was called Falafel mom. Normally I love falaffel but none of us were really in the mood.

The only other businesses open in the mall were a Lids hat store, the movie theater, and a Buffalo Wild wings chain restaurant.

We sat down there for a quick burger. With tip and tax for three people, that was a $65 (not well spent). Tab didn't even include any beer :p

Then the movie tickets. Because they charge extra for Dolby they wound up being like $70 for two adults and a student.

And because this was a last minute decision, none of us thought of bringing our own snacks, so we got taken advantage of at the concession stands. Like $65 for three sodas, one large bucket of popcorn, and a couple of small bags of candy.

So, carry the one...

Actually, that's exactly $200.

I guess my estimate wasn't off after all :p

It's ridiculous, but that's where we are.

Every time I go to a movie, I swear it's my last time, but my home theater is still unassembled, so no movies at home for now.

Heck, at these rates, it doesn't take too many movie nights to have paid for a brand new mid to high end home theater setup...

Heck, at these rates, it doesn't take too many movie nights to have paid for a brand new mid to high end home theater setup...
Especially if you get a good TV and a powerful soundbar... you really don't need a independent receiver any more. I was blow away by my soundbar and it's NOT a 1k option or anything. 400 bucks for one that is paired with my samsung TV.

Especially if you get a good TV and a powerful soundbar... you really don't need a independent receiver any more. I was blow away by my soundbar and it's NOT a 1k option or anything. 400 bucks for one that is paired with my samsung TV.

That isn't the experience I have had with soundbars, but I'll admit I havent tried one in a few years.

I still prefer an independent receiver, speakers and subs though.

Actually, that's exactly $200.

I guess my estimate wasn't off after all
HAHAHAHAHAHA yeah!

Shiat, I'm still sitting pretty with the Logitech Z-5300e PC speaker system I got in 2006 for about $135. It was part of the reason why I eventually stopped going to movie theaters. Then when HDTVs hit the market, they were blowing theater screens away in terms of image quality and colors, and that's when I started to realize I could get a better movie-watching experience at home (in most cases). I can't even imagine what it's like with a proper home theater setup. Even before audio and video quality in the home started matching or surpassing movie theaters, I still preferred watching at home cuz I can pause the movie to go to the bathroom, rewind/skip back, not get ripped off in terms of food, there's no annoying people talking or messing with their cell phones, etc.

That isn't the experience I have had with soundbars, but I'll admit I havent tried one in a few years.

I still prefer an independent receiver, speakers and subs though.
Same with me on all of that. Though if soundbars really are good enough these days, I'm not above using one after trying it out. It's just kinda hard for me to spend a few hundred bucks on something that only has 2.0 or 3.0 setup. Some soundbar systems do have a rear sub and satellites. The ones I've heard thus far haven't been the best though.

Become a Patron!
Back