Infinity Ward Is Finally Letting Call of Duty: Modern Warfare PC Players Free Up Disk Space

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
call-of-duty-modern-warfare-key-art-john-price-aiming-1024x576.jpg
Image: Infinity Ward

Something that Call of Duty: Modern Player players have really enjoyed over the past few months is making fun of the first-person shooter’s ridiculous disk space requirement. As we previously reported, the game’s minimum specifications now include 246 GB of storage space, which means that it can’t even fit on lower-capacity SSDs (remember, a 250 GB only gives you around 232 GB of space to work with).

While nobody likes whiners, all of the fuss made over Call of Duty: Modern Warfare’s absurd file size (which continues to grow, by the way) appears to have paid off, as Infinity Ward’s production director has...

Continue reading...

A patch to patch an issue with space?
Or a 50GB patch to allow you to uninstall 50GB of content you dont use? haha

The way to do this would be to install it as a small patch, that converts the game into a base game and different DLC modules, which then can be removed.

It depends on how it is packaged though. If these different portions of the games are all lumped into one big binary blob, it's not going to be possible to split them easily that way, if they are in smaller game mode specific files, it might be possible.

If they are huge binary blob files, you'll have to have some kind of script at install time which decompresses the blobs and reblobs the content inside into smaller game mode specific files.

If you can't do this, then yes, you'd have to redownload the content, only to be able to remove it :p

They should make us delete the whole thing and re download what we want. True dev thinking. :ROFLMAO:

I have no intentions of buying this game, and I don't know what store it is sold in (not in Steam apparently, which is another strike against it as Steam is the only platform I will ever buy a game from) but if it were a Steam download, I'd grab that 246GB in about 35 minutes, if the servers weren't too loaded at the time.

I could live with that :p

Wow, I'm surprised they actually are going to let people uninstall the parts of the game they won't use. I guess the complaints were loud enough. Good. No interest in the game personally, but that install size was insane, and it made no sense to have to install the whole dang thing if there were parts of it you were never gonna use.
I have no intentions of buying this game, and I don't know what store it is sold in (not in Steam apparently, which is another strike against it as Steam is the only platform I will ever buy a game from)
CoD is Activision which means it uses Blizzard's Battle.Net. Also, you'd never buy from GOG?

I have no intentions of buying this game, and I don't know what store it is sold in (not in Steam apparently, which is another strike against it as Steam is the only platform I will ever buy a game from) but if it were a Steam download, I'd grab that 246GB in about 35 minutes, if the servers weren't too loaded at the time.

I could live with that :p

I get about 1G/hr... maybe 2 on a good day.

So... 10-15 days? assuming I do nothing else to slow down my internet, and it miraculously doesn't drop out several times in that timespan.

Yeah I don't see myself buying this game either.

I think it's on Blizzard's Battle.net storefront. That's turned into an Activision dumping ground lately.

CoD is Activision which means it uses Blizzard's Battle.Net. Also, you'd never buy from GOG?

I like GoG in theory, better than Steam actually, but I don't like having multiple launchers installed. It's just one more resident piece of software with prying eyes.

At this point in my life, if doing something, anything really, requires me to sign up for a new account on any service, or give my contact or payment info to any company that doesn't already have them, I just pass.

Steam is not without it's flaws, but I already have an account there, they already have my purchase history, so I guess I'm sticking with them.

I get about 1G/hr... maybe 2 on a good day.

So... 10-15 days? assuming I do nothing else to slow down my internet, and it miraculously doesn't drop out several times in that timespan.

~2.5Mbps? Where do you live? Is that DSL?

I forget how awful internet can be outside of the more densely populated areas sometimes. You have my condolences.

(Have you considered moving? :p )

~2.5Mbps? Where do you live? Is that DSL?

I forget how awful internet can be outside of the more densely populated areas sometimes. You have my condolences.

(Have you considered moving? :p )

Yeah DSL... used to have radio link wireless in another house, it was about the same speed, but since it needs line of sight, I can't get it where I am now. Elon Musk may be my only hope. Oddly enough, down the road there is a resort-ish lake, and the DSL company ran "up to" 100Mb down there. My neck of the woods gets "up to" 14Mb. I can sometimes see 8-10 if the stars align, but most of the time it's much, much slower.

If I really really need speed, I do have a cellular account paid for by work. It can hit up to 50Mb, but only if the tower is not busy and clear, but the cap on that is pretty restrictive, and if I go over work tends to frown. Since this exists, everywhere I have lived has always been considered as having "high speed broadband" available, but I've never lived in a place that actually had what qualifies as high speed broadband by the US Govt, at least without some very restrictive data cap in place as to make it essentially useless.

Anywhere you live has it's pros and cons. This place has more pros than cons for me, and fortunately poor ISP is one of the bigger cons - could be a lot, lot worse. At least I have uncapped internet, it's just you have to be patient with it.

We recently had a couple buy a house next door who are evacuees from SJ/SF Bay. One is a Facebook employee, the other Google. They plan to move out here for "change of pace" and work remotely. I can't wait until they try out this DSL service and see how it works for remote work for them. Maybe they can get the local company to do some upgrades....

Last edited:
Yeah DSL... used to have radio link wireless in another house, it was about the same speed, but since it needs line of sight, I can't get it where I am now. Elon Musk may be my only hope. Oddly enough, down the road there is a resort-ish lake, and the DSL company ran "up to" 100Mb down there. My neck of the woods gets "up to" 14Mb. I can sometimes see 8-10 if the stars align, but most of the time it's much, much slower.

If I really really need speed, I do have a cellular account paid for by work. It can hit up to 50Mb, but only if the tower is not busy and clear, but the cap on that is pretty restrictive, and if I go over work tends to frown. Since this exists, everywhere I have lived has always been considered as having "high speed broadband" available, but I've never lived in a place that actually had what qualifies as high speed broadband by the US Govt, at least without some very restrictive data cap in place as to make it essentially useless.

Anywhere you live has it's pros and cons. This place has more pros than cons for me, and fortunately poor ISP is one of the bigger cons - could be a lot, lot worse. At least I have uncapped internet, it's just you have to be patient with it.

I'm glad you like it there. I think I would be pretty unhappy. Then again, I am also pretty unhappy with the real estate prices where i live...

We recently had a couple buy a house next door who are evacuees from SJ/SF Bay. One is a Facebook employee, the other Google. They plan to move out here for "change of pace" and work remotely. I can't wait until they try out this DSL service and see how it works for remote work for them. Maybe they can get the local company to do some upgrades....

Hehe. You'd think they would research that to death before moving...

I made sure I could get gigabit FiOS service here before I decided to move. :p

haha. Got my install down to 166GB, from 238ish. Not bad I guess, but it's a little late. If the new COD is any good I'm just going to uninstall this one. The new one comes out in like 2 weeks... Activisions ran by dorks.🤡

Become a Patron!
Back