Intel’s “5 GHz on All Cores” i9-9900KS Processor Arrives in October

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Intel has revealed that enthusiasts will be able to get their hands on the "world's best gaming processor" next month. The Core i9-9900KS's claim to fame is its ability to hit 5 GHz on all cores, which was apparently proven in today's demonstration involving Hitman 2, a Corsair 240mm AIO liquid cooler, and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti.

In a bid to maintain an intrigue, Intel did not disclose TDP of its new product. Besides, the company also did not disclose launch price of its Core i9-9900KS and we are curious to find out how much will the chipmaker want from its new range-topping enthusiast part.

A bit early to get the fixed processors though.
I wont be upgrading until the major security holes are plugged in hardware, without a performance penalty.

I agree with you 100% While having the gaming crown in a few titles is nice. The price premium + Security issues make it not really worth it. Especially when the difference is less that 10% and many cases less than 5%.

This is one of those 'would you keep if it someone gave it to you?' kind of things. I would, and happily build a rig for it but coming from what I have, nope. Potentially already has 3 strikes against it and you guy's mentioned two.

1. Price? We don't know but it is not likely to be under $500-600. If it is, well good for them but otherwise I doubt it.
2. Security. No side stepping this one, pun intended:)
3. Older platform. Again, coming from what I already have, I'm strongly interested in something that can support both PCIe 4.0 and USB4. It's possible USB4 might get added in some motherboards in the future but I haven't heard of any tricks to get it PCIe 4.0 yet. If Intel is able to push some kind of microcode or firmware update I'm pretty sure it'll make more than a few people reconsider.

I think its a great chip but would've mattered more a year or two ago. This seems aimed at the enthusiast market and back then many of us would've jumped on it. As is these are for people who have the money to throw at 'em and not worry about other things already either out of date or within months of being so.

I will look into this, but will find it hard to replace my 8700K. Plus the new generation isn't far off, so really this doesn't make sense at the moment.

I will look into this, but will find it hard to replace my 8700K. Plus the new generation isn't far off, so really this doesn't make sense at the moment.

I'm just guessing here but you would probably need a new motherboard for the 9700k due to the socket being slightly redesigned enough to need it. I would hold off too.

I'm just guessing here but you would probably need a new motherboard for the 9700k due to the socket being slightly redesigned enough to need it. I would hold off too.

The bios updates on my current board says it will go up to a 9900K, but again there is no need to upgrade imo.

The bios updates on my current board says it will go up to a 9900K, but again there is no need to upgrade imo.
I agree, 8700K is still an adequate CPU for a lot of workload, no point of upgrading CPU until there is a need. By then, you probably need a whole new system anyway.

Become a Patron!
Back