Intel’s 10-Core i9-10900F Reportedly Draws 224 W at 4.6 GHz – the Same TDP as NVIDIA’s GeForce RTX 2080

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
intel-chip-circuits-1024x576.jpg
Image: Intel

According to some alleged stress testing posted by a Weibo user (via Twitter member HXL), Intel’s upcoming 10-Core i9-10900F processor supposedly draws an incredible 224 W at 4.6 GHz. That’s nearly equivalent to the thermal demands of NVIDIA’s GeForce RTX 2080 Founders Edition, which is rated at 225 W.

HXL mentions two power level ratings, PL1 (170 W) and PL2 (224 W), which indicate how much power the CPU might use under long-term load and short-term load, respectively. The scary thing is that 4.5 GHz isn’t even the maximum frequency of the i9-10900F, as Intel’s Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 will purportedly take the chip up to 5.1 GHz – imagine the power demands at that speed.

i9-10900F 10C20TPL1 170WPL2 224WAll Core Turbo...

Continue reading...

I said it before, this CPU is going to need custom water cooling. Thing is going to roast itself to death.

Geezus that's a CRAZY amount of heat...

Then again anyone remember when you could overclock your CPU and there wern't even real heatsinks for them? Candybar CPU's anyone.

So we've seen the leap to more and more heat and passive and now active heat dissipation becoming more and more a thing to where it is ubiquitous. And even now Watercooling is an accepted norm and not even the realm of overclockers.

I have a 280mm rad AIO from corsair... the max my case can support. I couldn't run this CPU in this chassis that's served me for about a decade now.

Geezus that's a CRAZY amount of heat...

Then again anyone remember when you could overclock your CPU and there wern't even real heatsinks for them? Candybar CPU's anyone.

So we've seen the leap to more and more heat and passive and now active heat dissipation becoming more and more a thing to where it is ubiquitous. And even now Watercooling is an accepted norm and not even the realm of overclockers.

I have a 280mm rad AIO from corsair... the max my case can support. I couldn't run this CPU in this chassis that's served me for about a decade now.

And the progression in AIO's over the past 5-7 years. Where a single 120mm AIO was good enough for a CPU to get great overclocks. Now, 240 and 280 are pretty much the norm. I suspect we'll start seeing 360's, 420's and even dual rad AIO's pick up steam in sales. Cases are getting bigger and more water cooling centric. They're wider, deeper, taller with front, top, bottom and side rad mounting locations.

I'll stick with custom just because I like how it looks.

Reminds me of my Piledriver FX 9590 Black Edition, rated at 220w but pushing 300w was not too hard. It would do 5.1ghz all 8 cores. I A/C cooled the whole case and used water cooling lol. Looks like this is Intel's Bulldozer moment.

I remember overclocking my Apple //c. Popped out the 6502 with a screw driver and stuck my 'Zip Chip' in the socket. No such thing as cooling - other then opening a window or turning on the AC. I do remember all the Apple // and //+ computers at my high school would start crashing when the temp got over 80f or so.

1586467002510.png

1586467065078.png

My friend with his fancy Apple //gs was all pissy about it because my lowly //c was now faster then his computer.

Big change from my system prior to this one -- it was an AMD FX 8350 Black Edition with a moderate overclock and in the winter I did not need to turn on the heater for my two room Apt EVER even when it was in the 10's and 20's out.

So now AMD has the thermally responsible CPUs and Intel chips can fry eggs. How things change.

Attachments

• 1586466969821.png
    1586466969821.png
    72 KB · Views: 1
Become a Patron!
Back