Intel’s Rocket Lake-S CPUs Will Reportedly Feature Fewer Cores but Faster Integrated Graphics

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Intel's final 14 nm hurrah could be suffering from a core-count regression. According to a new technical diagram from @momomo_us, the Rocket Lake-S desktop CPU lineup (14 nm, 2021) will max out at eight cores, which is two less than Comet Lake (14 nm, 2020). It's getting a major boost in graphics performance, however: a Gen 12 iGPU is listed, which is based on the Xe GPU architecture. There's also support for LPDDR4x memory at 3733 Mhz.

Much like Generation 10, (Comet Lake), Rocket Lake S would still be based on Intel's 14 nm process and thus once again be based on the underlying microarchitecture that is Skylake. Comet Lake, however, makes a step towards 10-core processors with Intels Core i9-10900 that has 10C/20T fabbed at 14nm+++ and due for release in 2020.

For desktop, yeah... pretty pointless. Laptops and AIOs would care, but they tend to use BGA and not use sockets

To think, without AMD all this 'shortage' by Intel would have meant their CPU sky rocketing in price from their already high prices... I wouldn't be surprised if they would have offered 2 cores for a bunch of money as part of alleviating supply issues.
Of course there would have been headlines of Intel being investigated for doing all this intentionally (nothing will happen Intel would have kept releasing "new products" that require new mobos at higher and higher prices(
There would have been headlines of the threat of fast widespread adoption of ARM or RiscV in the desktop, and **** like that.
I hope AMD is prepping a blow out the water APUs... I can't see a technical reason they can't do a package of 4 to 8 ryzen cpus, 16gb hbm2 memory and a single Navi Chiplet such as the 5500 chiplets.
Surely the ryzen/ navi apus are coming, but they will be using shared ddr4... I don't see why not do it with share hbm2 .. yes money.. but also, speeeeeed at relatively low power. That would be an exciting product too.

Become a Patron!
Back