Intel 12th-Gen Alder Lake-S Rumors: Up to 16 Big/Little Cores via Foveros 3D Stacking, New LGA 1700 Socket

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
intel-foveros-3d-stack-1024x576.jpg
Image: Intel

Intel fans who weren’t blown away by last week’s 10th-gen Core S-series announcement may find comfort in the latest rumors regarding Comet Lake-S and Rocket Lake-S’s successor. According to Chrome Unboxed (which spotted a Chromium update revealing the addition of 12th-gen chipset support), Alder Lake-S CPUs will be developed using Intel’s 3D stacking/packaging technology, Foveros. This technique enables a hybrid chip architecture comprising multiple cores of varying sizes for increased power and performance at a reduced...

Continue reading...

...and then having to buy yet another motherboard to accommodate another new processor.. AM4 may be getting long in the tooth, but it's been nice for us little people with shallow pockets to run 3000 series Ryzen's on our B350 mobo's.

I think mixed cores like this will be great for laptops and tablets.

Number crunching power when you need it, gate it, turn it off, and use little Atom style cores when you don't.

I see little use outside of very niche cases where power efficiency is very important, for Desktops.

Servers might be another area where this could be useful. Data centers are always looking for ways to cut power costs.

I suspect heat dissipation of a stacked core when all cores are active will be a big challenge.

I suspect heat dissipation of a stacked core when all cores are active will be a big challenge.

I can see that. Maybe if you put the big cores on top, and the little cores on the bottom it is less of an issue?

Maybe by that time I may feel the need to upgrade.

Become a Patron!
Back