Intel Arc Xe2 Battlemage Discrete GPUs Will Reportedly Be Built Using TSMC’s 4nm Process

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
The Intel Arc Xe2 Battlemage gaming GPU lineup is expected to launch sometime in Q4 2024 and is now rumored to use TSMC’s N4 process. A new report from DigiTimes states that Intel has opted for the N4 node with its flagship GPU. While the first generation of Intel Arc dGPUs primarily targeted the budget-friendly […]

See full article...

I'm still a bit surprised with the Xe lineup. Gotta admit I'm shocked Intel is still supporting it.

Don't get me wrong - I'm pleasantly surprised in the performance and price, and I'm very glad it's on the market. It just usually isn't Intel's MO to run with a high volume / low margin strategy, and they haven't exactly delivered on high volume to date.

So I get pushing Gen 1 out, and to some extent, Gen 2 when it arrives - the R&D is done - see if you can get some return on your investment. They must have seen enough with Gen 1 to warrant the production of Gen 2, which I'm very glad of. I'm not expecting 4090-killers or anything, but maintaining acceptable sub-$300 gaming GPUs is a great thing.

The trick is keeping purchases from turning into regrets. It's one thing to purchase a budget card, and other to regret that purchase if it doesn't meet expectations. If Intel can provide a solid value for a low cost, then good for them and their niche market. Are they targeting average budget business workstations that don't require a lot of, but occasionally some, graphics muscle (e.g., MS Office with light CAD)?

Their cards are already a solid value for low cost. The 770 is beating cards that cost $100 more. Took them a bit to get the drivers right, and they get better all the time.

Really interested to what the 980 Battlemage can do. If they can keep it $400 or less for 4070 levels of performance it'll be great for a lot of people.

Become a Patron!
Back