Intel Core i5-12400 CPU Performance Review

Brent_Justice

Administrator
Staff member
12400_review_banner-1024x341.png

Introduction

Intel has recently launched a very interesting Core i5 series desktop processor, a CPU that has received a lot of attention because it offers a lot of value.  It is backed by Intel’s 12th Generation CPU architecture using all Performance Cores (P-Cores) at an appealing price. Therefore, we bought one in retail.  We did this so we could give the new Intel Core i5-12400 a comprehensive review.  By comprehensive we mean that we are comparing it with nothing less than three competitive CPUs from AMD in synthetic benchmarks and gaming at 1080p, 1440p, and 4K.

Today we have a direct 6 core/12 thread competitive lineup from AMD to throw at the Intel Core i5-12400 12th Gen Alder Lake CPU and see...

Continue reading...

Excellent review. Very surprised to see the 5600G ahead of the 5600X on some of the tests.
I think the total platform cost is still a little lower for AM4, even with DDR4 on both sides. I'd love to see a good LGA1700 mITX board at decent price - the 12400 would be ideal.

Very surprised to see the 5600G ahead of the 5600X on some of the tests.
Same here - the 5600G has half the L3 cache too. As Brent mentioned, this is probably down to the lower latency of the APU, not having a separate die for the memory controller and the cache.

I think the total platform cost is still a little lower for AM4, even with DDR4 on both sides. I'd love to see a good LGA1700 mITX board at decent price - the 12400 would be ideal.
One saving grace for LGA1700 non-k SKUs should be that the H670 chipset supports memory 'overclocking', i.e. being able to run at XMP - something previous 'H' and non-k SKUs tended to lack. For example, I have an i5-9400 system that will refuse to post if the memory is set higher than 2666, despite being on a Zx70 board.

This should result in less expensive LGA1700 boards allowing for full performance benefits from faster RAM with the lower-end SKUs, which would be a 'best of both worlds' situation for ITX specifically. Generally speaking, you do not want to be trying to overclock any modern CPU in an ITX enclosure, most certainly not any recent Intel CPU, so these locked CPUs are perfect.

On pg. 9

"In terms of temperature, the Intel Core i5-12400 is also not a temperature hog. Out of all the CPUs, it actually ran the coolest at near 50c on our 360mm AIO. That’s cooler than the 5600G, 5600X, and 3700X."

You mean 3600X.

Become a Patron!
Back