Intel Core i9-11900K CPU Review

Brent_Justice

Administrator
Staff member
banner-7.png

Introduction

We can now bring you our full performance review of the Intel Core i9-11900K CPU also known as Rocket Lake.  On March 16th, 2021 Intel pulled the covers off of the Rocket Lake Processors officially, and we were able to share with you all the information about the Intel 11th Gen Core Desktop Processors known as Rocket Lake.  We published an article that goes over all the new information about the architecture, the CPU SKUs, and pricing, as well as the new Intel 500-series chipset like the new Z590 that enthusiasts will enjoy.  

In this review today, we are solely reviewing the Intel Core i9-11900K CPU itself.  We will have a review coming of the Intel Core i5-11600K CPU as well in a separate review soon, so stay tuned for that.  In...

Continue reading...

Good review! For the money the 5800X offers mostly similar, sometimes better, performance. I see no reason for anyone to buy the 11900K over an AMD.
I have just 1 reason I would get the Intel solution over the AMD solution, and even then I'd get the 10900K over the 11900K. For support purposes I run a MacOSX VM. Getting one to run reliably on an AMD Ryzen system is much more difficult than on an Intel Platform.

That's it though. I'd run AMD for everything else I do.

Thanks for the great review Brent!

The power consumption increase to go from 4.8 to 5.0ghz with Adaptive Boost enabled, wow. Impressive putting that 280mm AIO to work. Overall the potential platform dead end is tough to swallow given the 11900's price vs the other tested CPUs.

I would definitely agree. If I could get my hands on a 5900x. Sorry, just bitter over looking and looking and not finding. Still, I wouldn't bother with the Intel even if I wasn't already invested in the AMD platform.
That's definitely a 'want' vs. 'need' question when more broadly applied.

Yeah, the 5900X is pretty much where I'd land too if I had to buy something today for my desktop, and there were actually things available to buy. And that's at any price really. Whatever I want, I don't need more than that, but if I were buying today, I don't see the value in buying any less either.

Thing is, if the Intel part is all that's available, I wouldn't shy away from it. Rocket Lake is no Netburst or Bulldozer, hot as RL may be when pushed, it's still delivering highly competitive performance, and it's not completely unreasonable, in my opinion.

Thanks for the great review! Looks like it's still Zen 3 for me (if I were in the market for a new PC right now, and stuff could be found at MSRP).

I'll just keep plugging along with my 10850K. Maybe Alder lake will be a worthy upgrade in the future.

I'm good with my Core i9-10900K. Intel just didn't bring enough to the table with this one.
It's faster than the 10900K in everything except when the two extra cores help out in multithreaded scenarios. But I would never upgrade my CPU like I would a video card (every two years). Intel's mistake was pricing the 11900K at the price point of the 5900X instead of the 5800X where it is competitive.

Intel's mistake was pricing the 11900K at the price point of the 5900X instead of the 5800X where it is competitive.
More of a mistake when it comes to review comparisons, but perhaps less of a mistake when it comes to shoppers having to choose based on what's available, maybe?

I think Intel may be pricing retail up due to AMDs limited ability to supply consumer CPUs.

It's faster than the 10900K in everything except when the two extra cores help out in multithreaded scenarios. But I would never upgrade my CPU like I would a video card (every two years). Intel's mistake was pricing the 11900K at the price point of the 5900X instead of the 5800X where it is competitive.

That's my point. It's not enough of an improvement to justify the "upgrade."

Become a Patron!
Back