Intel Could Be Buying GlobalFoundries for $30 Billion

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
intel-logo-light-blue-1024x576.jpg
Image: Intel

The Wall Street Journal is reporting that Intel is looking to purchase semiconductor manufacturing company GlobalFoundries for around $30 billion. The news follows another rumor about Intel potentially buying RISC-V chipmaker SiFive for $2 billion. It was recently reported that Intel would be investing $20 billion toward a chip manufacturing factory in the EU to further its manufacturing presence. With an estimated market value of $255 billion, Intel is flexing its fiscal muscle with continuing investments in the industry.

globalfoundries-logo-1024x576.jpg
Image...

Continue reading...

So Intel is trying to buy AMD's castoffs... well this will do well for AMD at least as they will reap some billions in their pockets from it. (Their partial ownership.)

I don't really get this one. GF doesn't have class-leading anything. They do have high volume for down to .. what, 12nm and even that is licensed from Samsung - 28nm I think is the best they do on their own IP? They totally gave up on 7nm and just focused on volume for less advanced nodes.

Which... is almost exactly where Intel has been stuck. So I don't really see what this nets Intel, apart from volume on older nodes, and possibly footprint/real estate for some pre-built foundries.

A lot of manufacturing ground to a halt becuse of the lack of lower level chips, this is a smart move.

Become a Patron!
Back