Intel Delaying 7 Nm Processors to Late 2022/Early 2023 Due to Defect

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
intel-logo-blue-glitter-box-1024x576.jpg
Image: Intel

How hard is AMD laughing right now? During today’s Q2’20 earnings webcast, CEO Bob Swan revealed that Intel would be delaying its 7 nm processors again due to a defect in the process, which degraded chip yields. Apparently, these CPUs won’t be released until late 2022 or early 2023 now! Wow, just wow.

“We are seeing an approximate six-month shift in our 7nm-based CPU product timing relative to prior expectations,” Swan explained. “The primary driver is the yield of our 7nm process, which based on recent data, is now trending approximately twelve months behind our internal target. We have identified a defect mode in our 7nm process that resulted in yield degradation. We’ve root-caused the issue and believe there are no fundamental roadblocks, but we...

Continue reading...

Remember when Intel used to make, release, and sell new processors? Pepperidge farm remembers! Only just barely though, at this rate, I doubt that old man would live long enough to witness a one.

I can't even believe 2023. I'm thinking 2025. or 2030. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Wtf. Isn't chip making machines and tech USA based? By this I mean, why would tsmc be better at deployment?

Wtf. Isn't chip making machines and tech USA based? By this I mean, why would tsmc be better at deployment?
What? Intel is fabricating 7nm at Fab 42 in Arizona last I checked, which is their own fabrication site. Intel is not using TSMC's 7nm process, they're using their own.

What? Intel is fabricating 7nm at Fab 42 in Arizona last I checked, which is their own fabrication site. Intel is not using TSMC's 7nm process, they're using their own.
So they make their own chipmaking machines then? Well that would make it more understandable.

So they make their own chipmaking machines then? Well that would make it more understandable.
Yes, Intel has been fabbing their own chips for as long as I can remember. There were rumors late last year that Intel was outsourcing some products to Samsung, but I don't know if that was ever confirmed.

Yes, Intel has been fabbing their own chips for as long as I can remember. There were rumors late last year that Intel was outsourcing some products to Samsung, but I don't know if that was ever confirmed.
It's interesting that you mention that. So used to seeing who AMD or NVIDIA is going to use for something that now that you mention it I don't remember many stories on who Intel uses. Only recurring ones like this one about delays which started long before COVID-19.

edit: Speaking of which. . . .check out the story that Tsing just posted about them considering outsourcing. :)

Last edited:

Intel is having issues with its various manufacturuing processes. Intel does own and maintain their own fabs across the globe and are therefore dependent on them. Unfortunately, due to technical issues with those processes, outsourcing may very well be what Intel will have to do in order to regain its competitive edge.

America hasn't been the industrial leader in a field for a while now. They/we just bluster like we are based on old data. TSMC and others are focused and driven to do that one thing the best. Hence they achieve that. Intel was for a long while doing product and design and distribution the best... But they've been leepfrogged and moving accelerating a behemoth takes a long freaking time.

Amd is the small agile competitor that has a design methodology that Intel simply can shift to compete Against fast enough.

If they used TSMC they could be iterating and testing quickly. Instead they have to go through rigorous change processes based on government mandatated measures and UL certifications and such. Intel probably brings in more dollars in government contracts for cpu's and such than amd. Makes as a company.

Become a Patron!
Back