Intel Launches 12th Gen Core “Alder Lake-S” Processors, Flagship Core i9-12900K Costs $589

I don’t know. Seems like time and again the company that focuses on efficiency ends up winning the long game. They may not have “the champ” but they usually end up with the overall better product line, and probably more importantly, legs for the next generation
Tell that to IBM. ;) sure they have exited the consumer space. But they are super efficient cpu makers.

But they are super efficient cpu makers.
PowerPC wasn't all that efficient when they got knocked out of the consumer space. And once you're out, it's pretty hard to get back in, even if your IBM.

ARM took up their place as "efficient" CPU maker, and, well, we can see how that has gone for them. They won the mobile market, and are about to take over the rest of the consumer market -- at least if nVidia doesn't screw it up.

Intel was on the right track with Core, all the way until they got stuck at 14nm. Maybe this gets them back on track, or maybe our current manufacturing processes and technology mean we are hitting a dead end, I don't know.

Last edited:
PowerPC wasn't all that efficient when they got knocked out of the consumer space. And once you're out, it's pretty hard to get back in, even if your IBM.

ARM took up their place as "efficient" CPU maker, and, well, we can see how that has gone for them. They won the mobile market, and are about to take over the rest of the consumer market -- at least if nVidia doesn't screw it up.

Intel was on the right track with Core, all the way until they got stuck at 14nm. Maybe this gets them back on track, or maybe our current manufacturing processes and technology mean we are hitting a dead end, I don't know.

Going off memory here power PC chips of that era were pretty powerful/efficient for the time. I'd have to do some google fu to validate that opinion though.

Honestly what I was thinking of are RS/6000 chips and their other mid tier and mainframe setups.

Really those are more glorified crazy high bandwidth I/O controllers though.

Going off memory here power PC chips of that era were pretty powerful/efficient for the time. I'd have to do some google fu to validate that opinion though.

Honestly what I was thinking of are RS/6000 chips and their other mid tier and mainframe setups.

Really those are more glorified crazy high bandwidth I/O controllers though.
Yeah the first couple of iterations were pretty good. But they plateaued early on and had trouble scaling past about 2Ghz without really sucking down power. By the time Core came out it beat them handily in efficiency and traded blows with speed. AltiVec was a monster when it was used.

Core was what convinced Apple to jump ship, and that was the beginning of the end for PPC.

Become a Patron!
Back