Intel Launches Anti-Mac Ad Campaign Following Apple’s Switch to In-House Processors

Nope, and I wrote a post last night about it in the OS subforum.

You're not going to disable Windows updates. And you shouldn't. And yes, that sucks, but having your system compromised and your private information stolen is worse, so I guess we're all along for this ride.

I have a PC running an industrial controller. When it reboots on its own, all mayhem breaks loose. And I can’t seem to figure out how to do that reliably; every time I think I locked it down, it reboots the next week.

I’ve tried active hours, I’ve tried group policy, I’m about to the point of putting the computer behind a pihole and just DNS blocking the update servers

I don’t care if it downloads the updates, I just need to manually restart when it’s safe

Idk before i had w7 without updates for at minimum 2 years.
Yup, MS changed that.

Partly because it lets them push out more data collection, but also in some part because unupdated systems become botnet fodder quickly, and that's become a geo-political-economic mess that MS is uniquely suited to 'help' address, and that they have done.

I'll relate it to the aged and evernew Starship Troopers quote, "everyone fights, nobody quits, or I'll shoot you myself".

In this case, everyone updates or MS makes their lives very, very hard. And while that rubs enthusiasts (rightly!) the wrong way, and totally enrages FOSSdom, they're dealing with the magnitude of the lowest common denominator, and right now if they have to make a 'one or the other' decision, forcing updates is the right one.

I have a PC running an industrial controller. When it reboots on its own, all mayhem breaks loose. And I can’t seem to figure out how to do that reliably; every time I think I locked it down, it reboots the next week.

I’ve tried active hours, I’ve tried group policy, I’m about to the point of putting the computer behind a pihole and just DNS blocking the update servers

I don’t care if it downloads the updates, I just need to manually restart when it’s safe
Well, you need a Windows Update Services Server... and an Active Directory server, in addition, at least, and probably a bit more.

Local policies aren't going to cut it with a modern retail install.

Also, an Enterprise or LTSC install might work as well, though may need the above to get to a 100% solution too, haven't messed with them in a while.

Become a Patron!
Back